I wonder why the engine seized?

Struc

Chief Petty Officer
Finally got around to pulling the engine out of my "parts boat", which I was told had a seized engine. Thought everyone would get a kick out of this...

IMG_2446s.jpg

In addition to that, there were a couple rods with spun or simply missing bearings (lots of pieces in the oil pan).

Anybody need some spare 4.3l pistons? :D That's about the only salvagable part in the rotating assy.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: I wonder why the engine seized?

That almost looks like the top secret Mercury Z rod for a 2.5 outboard

Z-Rod.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Water tends to do thing like that.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

looks like the 8.1 liter that I got once. engine would only turn 3/4 of a revolution. amazing what power water has

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class

Amazing what power the STARTER has.....it seems that most reported here bend when trying to restart....

RogersJetboat454

Commander

A buddy of mine still has a bent rod pulled out of a 12 cylinder Caterpillar earth mover, from when he was the maintenance manager at a local quarry. I bet if you melted down that rod, you would probably have enough material make 3 rods for a SBC.

He was saving it to make it into a clock. :)

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

I was told the story was that the guy just got done rebuilding the motor, and on the first time out, it started making noises and eventually seized.

Well, I know it wasn't rebuilt, but it did look like the heads had just been off (new head gaskets, fresh (overdone) silicone on a lot of parts). Either way, I'd be pretty frustrated if I just stuck a bunch of money into the engine, only to have it seize on you. I can imagine that's why he sold it off for parts. The guy I bought it from only wanted the heads.