How would you paint this truck lid?

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer
IMAG0359.jpgIMAG0358.jpgThe.cover on the bed of my truck is all scratched up... Sorry pics are dark... But it appears to be some type of aluminum maybe? Should I sand/rough it up and hit it with some rusto black or primer first? Or take it to bare metal (whatever it is)?

Edit: pics missing... I may need to take new ones... Sorry bout that... Grrr...

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: How would you paint this truck lid?

Whether it's aluminum or fiberglass, sand the gouges to feather them out with 180 grit, then 220 grit, then 400. Scuff the rest with scotch brite pads, then prime. Resand with 800-1000 and paint with a 2-part auto paint, usually urethane enamel. Clear coat afterward.

Or...slop on some house paint with a mop...whichever suits your taste.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Depends on what results you want.......

Sand as mentioned above........ prime with a sealer primer........ now the fun begins (you have 72 hrs to overcoat the primer or you will have to sand the primer....... primer gives the bite to the topcoat.

Decisions...... single stage paint or Base coat clear coat. Single stage is easier however you do not clear coat single stage paint.

Go to a good auto paint store and ASK what they feel is the best DIY job. Right now I am rebuilding my K2500 and I am going to use BC/CC but that is my choice.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

As Bob mentioned, single stage or 2 step is up to the painter. If you're going with black, I recommend 2 step (base coat/clear coat). This is only because it is a little more forgiving on such a large flat surface. Paint 3-4 coats of color, then wet sand with 1800-2000 grit. Clear coat with 2 coats. Buff out any imperfectios with a foam pad and 3500 microfine cutting compound. It will look like black glass. A little more work, but worth it.

If you are just looking for acceptable, then paint with single stage and wax a month later.