%.0 GL-D Rubic cube

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJK737

Cadet
Thanks for all the advice, but no progress yet. Here's the scoop;

Problem; Overheating above 3500 (or so) RPM's. Runs great and temp normal at or below 3500.

* Changed thermostat with new 160. Works great at or below 3500 RPM.
* Changed impeller - Old one was fine, but replaced it anyway.
* Tightened all hose clamps. Did not find any that were loose.

OK, on another note; I had a lifter noise that turned out to be my oil had fuel in it. I had ran the boat on one outing without a thermostat (because it overheated). After we pulled the thermostat, it was fine. However, we then started having the lifter noise. Replaced the thermostat, changed the oil twice, and ran it again. Lifter noise gone, but overheat problem back.

Now, I left the oil level right at the add mark (Volvo 5.0 GL-D). When we went out today - and had the overheat problem above 3500 RPM, I checked the oil again. It's high = I'm guessing 1 to 2 quarts and smells like gas again. Definately no water in it, but sure smells like gas.

Could my carb be bad, and dumping too much gas, and lead to a rich running motor causing high temps at high RPM's?

Please help. I'm running out of options. Should I just take it to the shop and pay whatever it takes? Any ideas?

Thanks Team...

Alan

Maclin

Admiral
Re: %.0 GL-D Rubic cube

Not sure what engine that is, but if it has a mechanical fuel pump attached to the block then the diaphragm(s) probably failed and gasoline is going directly into the block ending up in the crankcase. usually mechanical fuel pumps for Marine use have a vent tub on the back side that runs up to the carb, and if you see fuel in that then it is time for a new fuel pump. And an oil change.

This is in addition to the overheating problem, not related.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: %.0 GL-D Rubic cube

Should have an electric pump, rich mixtures run cooler. If it were dumping enough fuel to fill the crankcase I wouldn't even think it would run.

Status
Not open for further replies.