The Fruits of My Labor

snwwlkr

Seaman
So... Thought I would give a little feedback...After months of literally sweating my butt off evenings and weekends in this 100deg TN heat working on this boat and motor she's finally on the water. Thanks in no small part to this forum, in fact to be honest I'm not even sure I would have even gotten to this point with this motor without this forum. This is my $130 craigslist 85hp and my $300 17" Marquis boat with pretty nice drive on trailer. Still a lot of tweaking and fine tuning to do but two times on the water and its running pretty darn sweet. The 85hp is probably a little undersized for this boat but via GPS it still runs 32mph with two people on relatively smooth water.. Not to bad!!!

P1000787.jpgP1000792.jpgP1000801.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbG6DJOKufs

JWFails

Seaman
Re: The Fruits of My Labor

Awesome job. Nice boat for the money. Did you do any before shots?

snwwlkr

Seaman

wonderful.

Yes I know its not the biggest news of the week but I'm pretty damn happy. I don't know about you but I see a lot of people ask questions and you never hear back,like ????... So did you figure it out or what??? Give up and hauled it off to the dump?? Gave up and bought a new Rude???

This is what I've got to show after a many questions, lots of reading and work.. Not looking for a pat on the back, just sharing my experience with anyone that might get it. Also from my experiences I hope to give back to others that might follow.

Even more than that its a sense of pride and accomplishment for me and I'm sure many others on here to bring back to life one of these old motors. Sure the economy sucks and I'm trying to save a buck and honestly just can't afford the new Rude right now. Anyone with money can go buy the nice new boat but not anyone can recycle like this :).. Regardless I love seeing these old motors run and the challenge that goes with it.. To cool!!!

To elaborate a little..

Sorry, no before pics..

Motor---
It had set for many years
Had been rebuilt before it set.
I rebuilt carbs, fuel pump, water pump, dealt with a no spark issue, broke a rotor button and switched from points to electronic after that, added a tell-tale, blew a spark plug because of a previous owner bad heli-coil and replaced the head..
Timing, sync-ing, etc, etc..

The boat--
No motor
Installed Chrysler and controls. Steering bracket issues dealt with and solved.
P.O. had pulled the carpet and layed in indoor deep shag.. LOL..
Removed the carpet, sanded the floors and sidewalls, coated with fiberglass resin, then painted floors with rustoleum white. I like to be able to hose my boats out.
etc, etc..

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Spectacular!! I love to see folks using their heads and... seeing things through. The fun part is showing off that 20+ year old motor pushing you just as fast and reliably as those new $50,000 boats. Kudos, she's gorgeous!

snwwlkr

Seaman

Spectacular!! I love to see folks using their heads and... seeing things through. The fun part is showing off that 20+ year old motor pushing you just as fast and reliably as those new $50,000 boats. Kudos, she's gorgeous!

38 yr old motor thank you :).. And btw, thanks much for the great deal on the used head you sent me from Idaho last week that is now on my motor running down the lake here in TN just yesterday in the video.. Small world...

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hehehehe, glad to help :)