No gasket for lower unit to upper metal to metal mating?

dreintsm

Recruit
Re-assembling lower unit after dropping to replace water pump housing/impeller (just lower dropped) for the first time; finding difficulty in believing there's no gasket called for between the two...unless water is expected to leak in, which I don't believe to be the case. Neither surface is perfectly smooth. I do know about the 'quad oil seal,' and have that replacement ready, just wanted to ask about the next step before bolting it back up. Feedback appreciated.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: No gasket for lower unit to upper metal to metal mating?

It doesn't leak in, it flows in freely through the exhaust. The quad ring keeps the water out of the oil, and the shift shaft seal keeps the water from entering the bellhousing.

judd328

Recruit

there is an o-ring to seal the oil

achris

More fish than mountain goat

By all means make a gasket with a thin piece of paper. I do it all the time. It doesn't actually do anything, but it will make you feel better.

dreintsm

Recruit

Ha, okay, thanks guys. Will skip the step of making a useless piece, just saw the outline of an old gasket on the casting and thought I'd better ask.

ohioriverat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's probably just a paint mark, you want the lower to be tight against the upper and not move around on you if it had a gasket it would.