Is there life??

jhammer7

Recruit
Hi all, new here...

I have a 1984 19.5 Stingray with a Mercruiser 140 I/0.

We've had a blast with it in the past but it has not been run since 2003 when our kids started arriving. We'd like to get back on the water now and I'm wondering if a replacement engine can be had for this boat if the existing engine is junk? What brand of engine might work?

Thanks,

Joe

mercs4mark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Is there life??

sure they can be had, can usually find them used.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer

Was it properly stored for all those year, or just pulled from the water and parked? Was the motor good when parked?

jhammer7

Recruit

It was winterized before storing but I pulled the dipstick and it was cloudy. Does the engine need to be started to do a compression check?

Is replacing the engine just a matter of the proper sized bellows for at the transom and motor mounts or is it more complicated than that?

Joe

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I think you are getting way ahead of yourself. Just because it sat for a few years doesn't mean it is not a good engine. The first thing to do is see what condition your engine is in. If it was stored properly it might just be OK. Can you turn it over? Pull the plugs and put a little oil in each cyl and see. If it is not locked up, get a good battery and see if the starter will work. From there, clean out the tank and get some fresh gas, change the oil, plugs and points and give her a whirl, might surprise you LOL. Good luck.

montejw360

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It was winterized before storing but I pulled the dipstick and it was cloudy. Does the engine need to be started to do a compression check?

Is replacing the engine just a matter of the proper sized bellows for at the transom and motor mounts or is it more complicated than that?

Joe

you can do a cold compression check, it'll just be lower than if the engine was warmed up. I'd change the oil before doing anything since you said the dipstick was cloudy.

Volphin

Lieutenant

Oil can look cloudy over time due to condensation within the crankcase. I think you ought to change the oil, tune her up and go boating! :)

V

jhammer7

Recruit

Thanks for the encouragement. Is there a way to get to the crankshaft and try to turn it on this engine? It seems like the motor mount to the deck is in the way. How else can I make sure it's not junk?

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the encouragement. Is there a way to get to the crankshaft and try to turn it on this engine? It seems like the motor mount to the deck is in the way. How else can I make sure it's not junk?

As others have said, don't get ahead of yourself. Personally, I would change the oil, pull the plugs, drop a little oil down each cylinder and using a socket on the vibration damper to turn the engine over. If access to the damper is difficult, you could just "tap" the starter for a couple of minutes to get the cylinders lubed. You don't want a "dry" start. If all seems well and it's turning over, fresh fuel, plugs, charged up battery, set of muffs and give her a whirl. You may just be surprised!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

if I can get a boat running after 25 years of barn storage with only a fuel change and carb rebuild, you can get one running after 8.

here are a few things that you may encounter
bad gaskets in carburetor
bad fuel pump diaphragm
dry rotted raw water impeller
mouse nests

here are a few things that you will encounter
water condensation in the engine oil (the cloudyness you found)
bad fuel - its been 8 years, any fuel that was in the boat is now long since turned to varnish

as many have stated - change the oil, spray a bit of oil down each cylinder (I use Kroil or PB Blaster), clean out the fuel system.

my suggestion is after you changed the oil and cleaned out the fuel system is to pull the coil wire, pull the plugs. if the engine turns a full revolution with a wrench, then crank the engine. this will spin the engine, lubricating the parts that havent been lubricated in a while. it will also help in starting to pump fuel. watch closely for fuel leaks from dried gaskets and fuel pump.

if all is good, put on a set of muffs, install new plugs, put the coil wire back on and try to start it. after its running, pull the leg and replace the impeller. then on to happy boating.