1956 Johnson sea horse coil information

30hpbob

Seaman Apprentice
While looking for a no power problem I discovered both coil wires had some insulation worn off by the turning of the fly wheel. Not 100% sure if these are the correct coils. Does anyone have that information? It a 30hp. Everything looks in great condition. Do you think I could repair that worn insulation which may have resulted in low spark and there for low spark to my plugs. Thanks for any help

BonairII

Commander
Re: 1956 Johnson sea horse coil information

Replace the coils. Post your model #

30hpbob

Seaman Apprentice

RDE 18. Both coils that are in now have very little surface of the coil rubbed off it's side. Something is rubbing up againt it but not into the core.

BonairII

Commander

Probably should pull flywheel again and find what's rubbing. Maybe put some paint(or whatever) on the area on the coil that is getting rubbed and see where the paint gets transferred when you turn the flywheel.

nwcove

Admiral

is it the coil wires chaffing, or the coil itself chaffing? pics would also help others help you out.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If something is rubbing, chances are the coils are mis-aligned. The laminate heels of the coil must be perfectly flush with the machined ring at the base of the mag plate, directly under the coil laminate heels. Also, all coil wires should be routed away from the flywheel hub. The wire to the points usually tucks back and under the coil, while the ground wire simple routes in an arc away from the hub, flat against the top of the coil laminates.

kfa4303

Banned

Ditto that Chinewaler. In addition to making the coils heels flush with the mounting plate, make sure all of the coil and point wires are tucked neatly out of the way to prevent future chaffing. It can be a bit of a pain at first, but you'll get it. One trick I use is to install the coils and tighten down the screws about 3/4 of the way, then you can squeeze or pinch the coils in towards the center of the magneto plate with one hand while tightening down the coils screws with the other hand. To check if the coils are properly aligned, remove the spark plugs and replace the flywheel (no need to put the nut back ye). Now rotate the flywheel (CLOCKWISE) a few times by hand. If you feel any rubbing, then you'll have to realign the coils again. If you don't feel them rub, test the quality of the spark in the same manner by rotating the flywheel CW. If you have good spark and no rubbing, you're probably ok to replace the flywheel nut and tighten it down. Good luck. Keep us posted.

p.s.
I've got a great pic of how to align the coils, but I can't find it :/ I'll post it when/if I do.