Sweetwater v. Suntracker

I am looking at a Suntracker 20 party barge with a 60hp Merc, and a Sweetwater 2086 with a Yamaha 60hp. The Suntracker seems like a better boat for a better price. Any suggestions?

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Sweetwater v. Suntracker

I have a Sun Tracker PB20 Regency with the 60 Merc Bigfoot. There are some that call them an "entry level" boat but we are quite happy with ours. The finish seems good and we would buy another. Is the motor you are being offered the Bigfoot model, as it should be for the larger prop and lower gears? I have no experience with Sweetwater.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would sit on both boats for a while and let your heart, not your wallet, make the final decision. Both are very good boats. I buy American made products whenever I can, so for that reason, I would lean toward the Suntracker.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Sweetwater is a Godfrey boat made in Elkhart IN so on that count they are the same, quality wise I woudl say they are the same also so it comes down to which one fits you and what you want to do with it better.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When I said I buy American made products whenever I can, I was referring to the Merc motor vs. the Yamaha.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought my pontoon based on what motor it came. My opinion is the boat itself is fairly simple so if it looks well taken care of and put together it's probably going to be solid. The motor is the heart of the boat and is what can make a day at the lake a good one or a bad one. Personally I'd go with the Mercury. From my experience more people work on them and everyone I know that has one has never had an issue.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

They're both entry level boats and either one will serve you well provided you take care of it. Consensus over the years has been that Tracker welds aren't as good as others'. I had to have some broken welds on my motor pod repaired (21' Suntracker) and some leaks on the toons taken care of, but I bought the boat used and she had been subjected to quite a bit of stupidity in her previous life. It does give me peace of mind knowing that I'll never have to replace the deck (aluminum), but I certainly wouldn't turn down a Godfrey just because the deck was wooden. On balance I'd say the Sweetwater is actually the better boat of the two, but as I said, either will be fine. Think I'd just go with the better deal. Good luck and let us know. Welcome aboard.:cool: