Whining Noise in Engine with Key Turned Off - had to disconnect battery to stop

gardengate

Cadet
I have a 2008 Four Winns with a 4.3 Volvo engine. I tried to start it and the engine wouldn't turn over. There was just a clicking noise like the battery was too low. I tried a couple of times and then a whining, screeching, high pitched noise started coming from the engine compartment. I turned the key off but the noise continued. I looked at the engine to see if I could figure out where the noise was coming from and it seemed to be coming from the rear of the engine in the middle. The was a burning smell like an electrical fire but no smoke. The only way I could stop it was to disconnect the battery. I reconnected it briefly to see if the noise would start again and it did so I unhooked it. Has anyone had a similar problem? Any idea what it is? Thanks.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Whining Noise in Engine with Key Turned Off - had to disconnect battery to stop

That sounds like a starter solenoid stuck in the "starting" position with the flywheel teeth jammed or misaligned. The smell would most likely be the starter motor armature burning up from the inability to turn freely. This is all just a shot in the dark until you can provide more details though!