Tahoe Q7i with 305 won't shut off

Status
Not open for further replies.

copenglenn

Recruit
I've started having a weird issue with my boat lately and I might have found the problem but thought I would post to see if anyone has seen something like this. First, the boat starts and runs fine. The problem is when I go to shut it down it keeps running. I have to open the engine compartment and kick out a resettable breaker to kill the engine. Once I reset the breaker after the engine stopped I can hear the fuel pump running. I don't have a wiring diagram but it looks like the purple w/yellow wire that powers the fuel pump goes down to the starter solenoid to get power. I'm going out to check the ignition switch here in a bit but if it's not that is it the solenoid that is sticking and keeping it from shutting down with the key?

On another note, If I check the operation of the key switch the following day of having the problem, the key works like it should for the first couple starts. It's like the problem arises once up to temperature and things get warmed up.

Let me know if I'm on the right track. Thanks guys!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Tahoe Q7i with 305 won't shut off

Carbed or EFI? Do you have a SN for your engine handy?

copenglenn

Recruit

It's carbed. SN is 1A058319 if I read things correctly.

Don S

One good way to help track this down, start the engine on muffs. If it doesn't shut off with the switch, pull the lanyard kill switch and see if it dies. It will at least help narrow down the problem.

copenglenn

Recruit

Key doesn't kill it and neither does the kill switch. The key does kill the accessories though when it's switched off but the motor keeps running. I brought a test light with me yesterday and found two of the four poles on the ignition switch have power when I have the key off. Only one pole should be hot correct?

Don S

With the engine running, disconnect the purple/yellow wire from the starter solenoid. Then turn the engine off with the key and see if the engine stos.

Status
Not open for further replies.