Newbie is back for more questions - 95 Bayliner Capri w/ 120 Force OB

greenjeans

Cadet
Howdy fellas,

Got back from my 1st day at the lake. Had to put a new starter on just before heading out there. The bendix at first didn't spin upward to engage the flywheel. Kept having to remove the engine cover and move things by hand with a bit of force. It's like it spins down too hard after the engine catches - like a nut on a bolt tightened down too much.

Now, it started pretty easily, but doesn't like to idle as well as I would like it to. It would keep dying as I shifted into gear (forward or reverse)
It could be as simple as turning the idle up. But I know that the carbs haven't been touched in the 5 years that the previous owner had it.
I work on on Hondas (CB750s) and they have 4 carbs so, I'm not opposed to tearing into them.

I ran 16 gallons of fresh gas with ethanol treatment and a bottle of seafoam through it. The motor definitely likes higher revs vs going slow.

In my constant reading over the last few days, I keep coming across "fast idle". My ignition switch is the type where you push it down to choke the engine.

Do you guys know of any links online where I could find a manual for the engine in a pdf format ? Or am I just going to have to wait for one to be shipped to me ?
This looks to be what I need ? : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Forc...Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item2c5eaa0f1e

Another thing that bothered me was the steering - much easier to turn left vs right. Shouldn't they be pretty much equal in terms of force required to turn the steering wheel ? And just how "easy" should it be to steer the boat ?

Other than that, things went pretty well - I did find out that I need to have a square cushion in addition to my life jackets courtesy of the local game warden.

95Bayliner

Seaman
Re: Newbie is back for more questions - 95 Bayliner Capri w/ 120 Force OB

Hello GreenJeans,

IM me your email address and I'll forward you a copy of the pdf you're looking for.

jiffyboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Newbie is back for more questions - 95 Bayliner Capri w/ 120 Force OB

if the carbs haven't been done is five years, I would for sure do them , also the fuel pump and the water pump impeller that I;m sure haven't been done ether , carbs , fuel pump, and impeller are very easy to do in Forces , just basic maintenance, I hope you checked the compression when bought it, and is fine, a low compression cylinder can make the motor die when engage it in gear at idle...that s way I always recommend to every body , water test it prior to paid for