Having second thoughts.

harman79

Seaman Apprentice
Well I have my 1974 tri-hull tore apart. Transom,floor and stringers and cap are out. After reading tons of post about what I need to do and what products I will need I am not sure this boat is worth repairing. The transom and stringers and floor I figure will cost me 1000.00 to 1200.00 to fix. Then engine in it needs repaired or I need to find another engine for it. If I can find a used one for 800ish or 1500 to have mine rebuilt. Right there I am over 2500.00. I think the outdrive is ok. Then I would have to freshen up the interior not sure what that will cost yet. I think I could make it look alright for say 500.00. So say I will have 3000.00 dollars in a 1974 tri-hull that when done it will not be worth anywhere near that. I am at the point now is it justifiable to continue with this project. I always hated the thought of cutting this boat into pieces and scraping it but maybe its lived it life. Let me know what you think and what made some of you fix up your older boats.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Having second thoughts.

I look at it like this. For $3500 you will have a Rock solid boat that will last for a LONG time and you will KNOW every square inch of her. If you like the style of the boat and the hull is sound then for your personal use, ask your self this...Where could you find a boat for that price, of the quality that she will be when you get done??? It will be a lot of work but when you're done, you WILL have a quality boat. Resale is not the mitigating factor in these restorations. If it was none of us would do them.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe Oops will chime in--he is an expert

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

When you are done with it you will have that peace of mind knowing that you have a solid and SAFE boat for you and your family to enjoy.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer

finash the boat!!!
you will never ever find a rock solid boat for less then 10,000 dollers... like the ones that are done right!!! with all that fancy glass stuff.
so the 3,000 dollers and 400-500 hours will be well justified.
I will have 5 Grand or more in my 79 admarilty,when done. That I will never be able so sell for more then 4,000 dollers.
But I will have the fastest most solid boat at my local res.
unless you have 15 grand lying around to pick up a 2012 model, finash your vessal and be proud-that you have a rock solid machine!

Decker83

Commander

Hey Harman79,
Welcome to iboats. I would say Woodonglass hit the nail on the head.
My first question is, Do you like this boat well enough to spend the money... Next would be, Will it suit your needs for the next few years. What will you be doing with the boat. Do you have family and will you out grow the boat. You are the only one that can answer these types of question.
My boat will never sell for enough to pay for the restore. But the pleasure I will have in using it with my family will be worth it. I do not intend on selling mine. I will probably give it to one of my kids to use. I just really like the boat I have. It's old and kinda funky but it suits me just fine.
Ether way you go, Do what you feel is right for you.

Kent

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome!! everyone has said what I would say.. I abandoned a resto project and took up a new one because that boat just wasn't worth it to me... Yeah, resto is hard, but you did the worst part!! Now the fun starts and you get to start making her your own. Best of luck buddy

Edit... I did my re decking and interior so far for bout 700 total. but I have a lot of creative parts and got a lot of cheap/free stuff on CL. Scrapped an old boat for a buddy a while back and used a few interior parts from that...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Not sure what you can get for $3000 to $4000. But it would be worth the time to look, if for no other reason than to justify continuing with the project. But you never know what you will find, especially in these hard economic times.

harman79

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the comments. I thought about looking for something else but everything in my price range would probably have the same problems as the one I got. I can't say that I love the tri-hull design but I have it. My daughter just turned 5 and thought it would be nice to go boating. It would get me out on the water a dozen or so times in the summer. I think I am getting nervous about putting this back together and it running again. I really don't have alot of knowledge about boats. I will think about it some more and see what I come up with.

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post a few pics of what you got! There is lots of help available here!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

this is a common thing bud......very common.

woody gave you a good post...

and check out these.

this one is my buddy johnnys

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=231007&highlight=pic+work

this is my good friend robj s boat......i have ridden in this little gem....is is as nice as any new boat on the water
http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,406,00.html

then hadrazzas pro job

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=252667

my point is....the same as woodies.....you will know you have a good boat, and the pride of ownership cannot be contested.
my own personal boat is still not finished...but on the water.....i get comments everytime i put it on the water....and stares when im driving to the lake.

i know.....i am safe in that boat.....and anything the lake can throw at it.....well my boat will handle it....no questions....it will take it.
my gf says its the safest boat she has ever been in.....it just feels solid. more so than a new boat.

if you dump 4 k into the boat.....it will be worth that when you sell it in a few years.
is it going to take you a while to do?,,,,yes....is it worth it....if you have the time and money.

what is not worth it ?????.....ripping a 1200 boat apart and hauling the parts to the dump.

harman79

Seaman Apprentice

thanks oops for the kind words and those projects. I have decided that since I know where I am with the transom, stringers and interior repair I will investigate the engine part more. Looking around for a used one would be my best bet but I am going to call some machine shops and see what fixing mine will run. The engine is the big unknown right know.

alligatorgars

Seaman Apprentice

Harman I understand your concerns. You have to have a passion for the boat you are going to restore, not OPPS, or Johnnys project boat but yours. The boat Opps or Johnny restore might be the apple of their eyes but I might think, Why did he pick that boat to restore? Its all in the eye of the beholder. You ither feel it or you dont. Ive been waiting for the right boat to come around for some time now and missed one last week that put me in the dumps for a spell.
If the hull dont float your boat find one that does and dont compromise until you find the boat you would like for life. Post a thread here on what you would like as a project boat and who knows someone on here might have see it. Have you seen the 18' air slot by wellcraft? Now thats a fine looking boat. That design is timeless in my opinion.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

So say I will have 3000.00 dollars in a 1974 tri-hull that when done it will not be worth anywhere near that. I am at the point now is it justifiable to continue with this project.

Welcome to Iboats Harman :) ..

Personally I think 3k is a bit much for a resto for a Fully outfitted tri-hull. Can you tell us the condition of the hull ? Pics please.

I look at it like this. For $3500 you will have a Rock solid boat ...snip.. Where could you find a boat for that price, of the quality that she will be when you get done???

Patience ... You can find a very nice Sound hull and engine/drive for less than you think. You have to look around for them. Right time Right place helps :) .

My neighbor picked up a 18ish' Angler from a bud for 1k. .. That thing I would pick up in a heartbeat !! I offered him 2k for her and he wouldnt sell it. So I helped him out putting a coat of vc-17 bottom paint ( which it allready had ) and buffed out his deck for a few beers and a home BBQ dinner ;) .

I hope if you continue on your resto to keep us updated :) You should post up some pics for us please ..

EDIT:

Harman I understand your concerns. You have to have a passion for the boat you are going to restore, not OPPS, or Johnnys project boat but yours. The boat Opps or Johnny restore might be the apple of their eyes but I might think, Why did he pick that boat to restore? Its all in the eye of the beholder. You ither feel it or you dont. Ive been waiting for the right boat to come around for some time now and missed one last week that put me in the dumps for a spell.
If the hull dont float your boat find one that does and dont compromise until you find the boat you would like for life. Post a thread here on what you would like as a project boat and who knows someone on here might have see it. Have you seen the 18' air slot by wellcraft? Now thats a fine looking boat. That design is timeless in my opinion.

Typing at the same time while feeding the kids .. ^^^^^ This is basically what im saying .. Thank you Gators :) .

YD.

harman79

Seaman Apprentice

DSCN1680.JPGDSCN1681.JPGDSCN1676.JPGDSCN1678.JPGDSCN1679.JPGThought I would post some pics of what I am working on. It should not cost me some much to fix up but I let it sit in my back yard unused for 8 years. This led to water getting into the engine. The engine ran great before I parked it. So the engine repair I only have myself to blame.

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the same boat..a 1974 tri-hull and had to make the same decision. I hee'd and haw'd and finally came to the conclusion that no matter how great I restored it would still be a 1974 trihull.(nothing against tri hulls)......you literally cat't give those boat hulls away around here. So I saved the motor and trailer and cut the hull up in pieces. I waited 4 months for the perfect boat : an old 15 ft Starcraft runabout that I found on CL for $275. Much cheaper and easier resto and a cool 1950's boat when I'm done. I don't regret a thing, but to each his own......

jlsperko

Cadet

I am restoring a '73 Chrysler Conqueror SIII with a 340 in it, and it was a TOTAL restore. I bought it as I love the design and love old Mopars. That being said, a total restore is A LOT of work and man hours. If you aren't in love with the boat, you may lose interest in it. It would be a shame for that to happen after having a decent chunk of cash sunk into it, not to mention your man hours. On the same note, if you like it, and you can get it on the water without a ton of cash, it would be a great learning experience. Then you would have one restore under your belt, know what to look for in the next one, what you like, what you don't, what you are willing to tackle, what you aren't. It is a labor of love. The nice thing about having one in your hands now, and not having a ton vested into it, if you really screw it up, keep what is valuable and scrap the rest.

harman79

Seaman Apprentice

Well I will know where I stand in a day or so. I went and picked up two used engines that have been sitting a while. I plan to try and start them on the floor and see if either will run. I got them cheap so I figured I would take a gamble on them. I also plan to keep my interior how it is to keep costs down. Its not that bad just some of the wood needs replaced on the seats. Not that big of deal. Not sure if I am going to put carpet back in. I got the wood to repair hull. If the engine runs I may just take it apart and regasket it and run it. Thinking I can get the boat back together for 1500- 1700 tops. hopefully

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I would have said go for it if the drivetrain was in good shape and ready go. As-is, I'd say look for a better project. Only if you really love this boat or it has some sentimental value (neither of which appears to be the case) would I say restore it.