pontoon boat covers

Hi Newbe to pontoons here so sorry about dumb question. If I buy a pontoon cover made for my size boat 21' do I need to put something in the boat to help hold it up? My boat has a windshield that would stick up some. Thanks for any info

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: pontoon boat covers

I assume your talking about a snap down mooring cover. If so, mine came with 4 poles and inserts in the cover to position them. The inserts also double as vents.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

You'll definitely need to support the cover, otherwise when it rains you'll get puddles that will weigh it down and result in leaks. How you support it depends on what kind you get. If you have one custom made it will come with three or four grommeted holes that accept push poles as Jeep Man described. If you go with an off the shelf semi-custom cover you'll have to improvise something. These work pretty well but are a bit of a pain to use. http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=71702&pdesc=Pontoon_Boat_Cover_Support_System If you can swing it I strongly encourage you to go ahead and have one made. It won't be cheap, but it will more than pay for itself because it will last literally as long as ten semi-custom covers, it will protect your boat much better, and you'll be more likely to use it on a regular basis because it will be much easier to handle. That said, if you don't have 700 bucks laying around an off the shelf cover is better than no cover at all. Welcome aboard.:cool:

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I've had my pontoon for almost 26 years. Pontoons are great values because they'll last so long if you keep'em out of the weather. Mine has been in a boathouse its whole life.

If you think you're going to have your boat for the long run, invest in a snap on "factory" OEM cover. They just fit better and protect your boat better.

I finally need upholstery, however I might have gotten another 5 years out of my seats had I purchased a snap on cover.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

3/4 or 1-inch plastic pipe with a "T" at the top makes a great, inexpensive cover support.

93chevy

Cadet

I recently took the pontoon out for storage for the winter. I used 2 inch pvc for a center support from front to back. I used 3/4 inch pvc, 10 ft. long bowed the 3/4 inch over the 2 inch center support. We tied the bowed 3/4 inch on each end to the rails with tie wraps. I didn't have time to take pictures without the cover on because there was a storm coming. The 10 ft pieces of 3/4 gives about a 6 inch overhang over the rails. It provides good air circulation.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

My uncle got a exceptionally good cover built by one of the biggest and oldest awning companies in Birmingham. As I recall it was less expensive than any boat cover he looked at. And, knowing him he was price shopping. That cover is 10 years old and still going...

bigdee

Commander

I leave my bimini top in the raised position and use it to hold up the cover. I had to buy a cover that was one size larger but it has worked out well.

Even having my boat under roof in the marina slip, the cover offered significant relief from UV rays, wasps, spiders, and bird droppings. Amortized over about a 7-10 year life it's a pretty cost effective investment.

katman819

Cadet

I just got a quote from a local canvas shop. I have a tahoe 24 with wakeboad tower. They For sunbrella (they said 20 yds required) and supports they wanted over $1,800.00. I think I'll shrink this year, buy a sewing machine and learn to sew. Unfortunately, Tahoe (Avalon) doesn't have convers for my boat anymore.

DavenLC

Seaman

PVC pipe for a frame and a good size tarp from Academy will work, bungie cord it down, keeps out the dirt and falling stuff and same time, provides ventellation to circulate. ALOT cheaper than a custom made cover.

Blank-N-Ship

Seaman

I just got a quote from a local canvas shop. I have a tahoe 24 with wakeboad tower. They For sunbrella (they said 20 yds required) and supports they wanted over $1,800.00. I think I'll shrink this year, buy a sewing machine and learn to sew. Unfortunately, Tahoe (Avalon) doesn't have convers for my boat anymore.
Wow. That strikes me as a lot of money for a playpen cover. We charge from $700-$950 for ours and they're made/installed custom to the boat. We use Gore Tex Tenara thread and a long-lasting canvas and YKK zippers. It includes the supports and the straps for those.

I concur with B-N-S, unless you are possibly intending to cover the wakeboard tower, which very few boats in our marina do, that $1800 is double the going rate for a custom cover. Perhaps covering the tower would account for the large quantity of material quoted?

Dakota Dave

Seaman Apprentice

IMG0172.JPGI have a cheep off the shelf cover. My pontoon is very old a1974 Weeres. my cover supports are made of 3/4" CPVC 1/4' carrage bolts and ziptied ends. Its held up in 1.5" of rain overnight. and we had 60mph winds for the last two days. the verrtical poles are attached to the rear railing and center counsel with zipties. I can stand up in the area between the engine and floats, so I'm sure I have plenty of ventlation.View attachment 117223

Last edited:

katman819

Cadet

That price I got was not for going over the tower--told them the tower could remain exposed. The small bimini folds right up to the tower and has its own cover. I'm going to get prices from a couple of other local canvas shops. I was thinking it would be closer to what B-N-S said. I'd like to get a cover made instead of shrink wrapping but I thought that qote was a bit rich.

Dakota Dave

Seaman Apprentice

sunbrella is $35.00 pre yard. 20 yards is $700 for just the material. pluss zippers and snaps. when we do projectes labor usually is equal to material costs. What material were you having it made of?

Wendy_Pooh

Recruit

I got a 20x30 canvas from Walmart on line for my 24 foot pontoon boat.I paid 36.00 for it. My boat had one those hard tin top that came with my boat. I will use that top to go over my boat and thin put the tarp over it to keep puddles from forming. I had a friend who took 2 pierces of ply wood and used it as a top and put the same canvas over the ply wood. I just can't justified paying 300 to 1,800 dollars for a boat I only paid 1200.00 dollars for even thou it is worth way more then I paid. Heck of a deal for a 97 that just need a good cleaning.

katman819

Cadet

Dakota Dave, I understand. I priced out the upper grades of sunbrella at sailrite and a few other places, assuming that was what they were quoting, and it is about $35 a yard. It was an eyepopper for me, just like some of my customers experienced when they selected a nice moulding and the best grade of nonreflective conservation glass for the art they wanted framed--good materials and good labor add up. All I can say is I didn't price sunbrella before I got the quote, so the quote was more than I thought it would be. I'm going to need new furniture covers soon, so I am seriously thinking about shrink wrap for this year, investing in a machine and making the covers myself.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You can buy Sunbrella in 46", 60' and 80" widths online @ $17.50/$20.50/$39.50 respectively per running yard. Two 80" widths sewn together would do me great 7 (yrds) @ $39.50 x 2=$560. That's not too bad for a cover much better than one of your off the shelf universal covers.

If someone could get hold of a upholstery sewing machine, it should be a pretty easy job to do. (My wife and I both have been thru upholstery school at the local trade school.)

katman819

Cadet

Bamaman1, I'm thinking it's closer to 16 yds of 80" for my 24' and that brings it a bit further down the fence. Saw a machine on craigs list a few weeks ago so I will keep my eyes open.