1969 johnson 25hp outboard no spark

dvie12

Cadet
i've looked under the johnson outboard heading for tips but haven't found anything that seems to help so here is what i have done, checked all wiring from coils condenser and kill button all test good for continuity the ones i can test all look good no kinks or breaks with the ignition system hooked up i tested for continuity from the spark plug end of the plug wire to the coil wires, (the small ones, the black one is mounted on the stator if thats the right word and the green one is connected to the points with the condensor wire) and the plate that everything mounts on and it shows zero ohms of resistance at all points is this correct or am i grounding out somewhere i also checked between the two wires on the coils and i get a 0 ohm reading there also the points look good no pitting or burnt look they are gapped at .020 is that correct this is a motor that was given to me and was told it ran before it was stored for around 2 to 3 years in a guys garage the ends of the stators the spot on the coils and the spot on the rotor where the magnet is are all clean no signs of anything rubbing i am sort of familar with a magneto system from working on my lawnmowers so i have an idea what that stuff should look like

at this point i look like i am getting fuel the plugs are damp when i pull them and it seems to have decent compression have not put a tester on it but when we pull start it it feels good i would like to tackle one problem at a time and get the spark issue resolved before opening another can of worms

heres one post that help some http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=402219&p=3441691#post3441691 had a good picture of the ignition and mine looks like it as well as i could tell

dvie12

Cadet
Re: 1969 johnson 25hp outboard no spark

was a good video and answered some questions but still have no spark coils check good replaced the plug wires even though the showed good continuity new points and condensers set points at .020 and new spark plugs the coils are lined up with the machined surface at the end of the coil pick ups so i assume the air gap is correct for the magnet in the flywheel what next

did a compression test and got 100 0n top and 95 on the bottom cylinder