MPi or Carb

jack_pine

Seaman Apprentice
So, My dealer is pushing hard for me to buy (the last according to him) a 216 WT with 220hp carbed boat. Says anyone after this will be an MPI.

So, cost aside... What are the pros and cons of MPI vs carbed. Performance? Maintenance? Other?

Thoughts?

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: MPi or Carb

Sounds to me like the dealer just wants to "dump" the last carbed boat. I can only speak for the carbed version. I have a 4.3l V-6 carbed w Turn Key Start - TKS in a Q6 S/F. 190 hp (the MPI 4.3l is 220 hp). I bought it new and have had no problems at all. I tune it maybe every other year, and seems like from the looks of things it could go longer but change plugs, etc anyway. It has always started rite away in hot weather as well as cold. Runs very smooth at any rpm. Even had compliments on how smooth engine runs. Could'nt tell u exact fuel rate for I use it for all purposes; drifting, cruising, tubing, etc. but overall I am pleased with fuel rate. I am very pleased with this engine. The MPI will offer u more hp than the carbed engine of the same size. As for fuel rate...??? I don't no that...to me...more hp = more fuel rate.... JMO.