20 hp Johnson - Year of Confusion???

YSBfireguy

Recruit
I recently purchased what I thought was a 1983 20 hp Johnson, however I am not able to find this year of motor in parts listings etc? I used the model # to look at year reference and thought I read it properly???

Confused!

Anyone have a better guess at the year of this motor?

Model# J20CRCTE
Ser# C8173541

IMG_0075.jpg

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 20 hp Johnson - Year of Confusion???

Howdy, Fireguy.

Welcome to iboats. :)

That model number decodes like this:

J=Johnson
20=HP
C=Canadian
R=Rope start
CT=1983 model
E=run number (of no consequence except to parts guy)

I think you read it properly, unless there was something special about the Canadian model.

Good luck. :)

Handyman1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi and welcome. I will call the marina my friend works there he knows a lot about Johnson's and see what parts are available for your motor. How's the fishing up north

YSBfireguy

Recruit

Great if you are after Walleye. I mainly target Walleye and Lake Trout. I went out yesterday chasin trout only to find out my depth finder battery was dead..... I have a 14ft Lund with the 20 Johnson. 3 weeks ago I had a 15 Yamaha but it was stolen off my boat in my driveway. :facepalm:

Handyman1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hi again you were wright the model# did not come up in the parts data base it turns out that they built a bunch of 25hp and no 20hp so they changed the carb on them and added a different plate and added an extra latter to it if you need any parts for the motor other then the carb you should use this model #J25RCTE same motor different carb. this model was built from 1982-1984 good motors.I see on kijiji more and more motors being stolen everyday my friends 25hp merc was stolen last winter in Jellico maybe i can go up to Sudbury next year for opening season for Walleye.

YSBfireguy

Recruit

Wow - Great Detective Work - This will help immensely!! I just moved to Sudbury this spring still exploring the area for Walleye. What i have found is excellent Lake Trout fishing. Lots of trout lakes around Sudbury. Let me know what you are up to next spring and I can take you trout hunting when the ice leaves.