Need water flow set up for my boat

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been working on a boat I got. It would always over heat. I replaced the thermostat and back flushed the cooling system. Yet it still was overheating on me. I believe the problem is that the hoses are hooked up wrong to the thermostat housing. Took them off and did some switching and had no issues with over heating, but I couldn't get any water flow to the beginning of the exhaust manifold. I could really use some help finding a picture or diagram of the cooling system. The engine is a ford 225 small block v8. Please help-I would like to get my boat out to do a open water test before the end of the season. Any more info you need I can provide. Thanks.

cliffblue

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need water flow set up for my boat

Are you sure the impeller is good in the out drive?

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the lower and upper unit off and a cut garden hose rammed in and sealed in the water intake

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did order a new impeller in along with the housing-giving this boat a complete over haul. I'll find out tomorrow if the hose set up worked- also got a temp. gun to double check everything.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is a link to the service manual, go to the cooling section, there is about 6 pages of 225 diagrams.

http://www.4shared.com/document/3AHpVLYw/Service_Manual_02.html

Impeller $16
New thermostat housing cover $45
Breaking that new gasket ****
Making a homemade gasket work !!!!
SPENDING 4 HOURS GUESSING HOW THE HOSES CONNECT TO ALLOW THE WATER TO FLOW PROPERLY, AND JUST NEEDING 2 SECONDS TO SEE WHAT I DID WRONG- priceless!!!!

Thanks a lot, I was trying to run the water backwards through the exhaust manifold every time=very cold temp or very hot temp depending on how I put the hoses on. Just could not get it right. My neighbor also thanks you- he was looking for a pfd version of that manual since he cannot find his after 6 years of his boat being in storage. He has a v6 Chevy motor, and I have a v8 Ford motor. (Kinda working together to get both boats running, he has the tools and knowledge, I have a lot of time and natural ability to learn about stuff very quickly)