stuck steering cable

trophy 2002

Recruit
Hello all. I am new to the board and looking for a steering guru. I have a 1994 Bayliner 2002 Trophy W/A Cutty with a Force 120 outboard. I need a new steering cable and can't see the model # on the old cable without removing it first. I don't want to take it out before I get the new one because I have to remove the engine from transom to do so. I don't want to hang engine till new cable arrives, so I'm asking if anyone by chance would happen to know the cable model # for this boat. Thanks in advance for any helpful info or ideas.
Trophy 2002
Leon

mauiboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: stuck steering cable

it is on the cable sometimes u have to pull part of the cable out.
Are you sure it is the cable it could be the motor. try to remove the steering nut from themotor and turn the motor by hand,

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Check the Teleflex website to see if they have what you need. If all else fails, call them up tell them what you have, and they should be able to help you out.

boatsngoats

Cadet

There's about a thousand possibilities of cable... You have to measure... alot of times. Teleflex will tell you to measure the distance from the engine to the gunwale, the length of the boat to. The steering wheel and from the center of the wheels to the gunwale. Add them all up and round to the nearest foot. Or 3. It depends on the cable. It's not like ordering a throttle car for your car or bicycle. Every boat is different with the routing, what prior mechanics have done, and steering type with outboard configuration.

Honestly... With all that mess.. Just spend an extra 20 bucks too and get the cable and helm Assembly from teleflex. Get the Safe-T QC. Set up. It's worth it to just replace both of them...

Chances are you may damage the cable while removing it from The motor. Just be safe and not sorry. It's probably old and sloppy.

trophy 2002

Recruit

it is on the cable sometimes u have to pull part of the cable out.
Are you sure it is the cable it could be the motor. try to remove the steering nut from themotor and turn the motor by hand,

Thanks a lot for the quick reponses guys. What I have done so far is to disconnect cable at motor and found there is some resistance in turning motor, but also some resistance in turning helm, especially when tuning helm to right which draws cable into casing. Not sure how much is acceptible in either case as I have never turned motor by hand. I do know that I can barely crab and turn the motor by hand at the stern with the cable attached to it. I did inject liberal amounts of white lithium grease into grease fittings on the motor at steering trunnion. It has loosened up dramatically, so I think the main problem is the cable. I plan to change the cable just to be on safe side. I'll post finding when I remove old cable. Thanks a lot.