Power comparison from Evinrude 65 to Yamaha F60??

mmurray70

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 19 foot fiberglass fishing boat with a 65hp evinrude. Its not the fastest but we fish in rough saltwater so thats fine, cant really go much faster most days anyway.

I've been thinking about repowering with a used Yamaha 4 stroke. Really wanted a 90hp but i have a chance to buy a 60hp for very cheap. Just wondering about how these would compare in terms of power. Im perfectly happy with the speed of my evinrude with 2-3 people on board but with 5-6 it struggles to plane. Would a 4 stroke be any better or worst in a heavy situation?

Also what about mounting bolt holes? Are these all standardized? Will i have to drill new holes to swith from the evinrude 65 to the F60? How about the F60 compared to F90 in case i decide to get the F60 now and maybe upgrade to the F90 down the road. Would the controls be the same for the F60 and F90?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Power comparison from Evinrude 65 to Yamaha F60??

I believe the mounting holes are standardized.

As far as I am concerned HP is HP so putting a smaller HP motor will not help with the heavy load, and 4Strokes did not have the same torque as the 2 strokes, but some are doing a good job at getting there now a days

Angrywasp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What years are the motors? Older motors hp was measured at the shaft while the newer motors are measured at the prop. In theory (depending on age) the Yamaha would make more power. I don't remember what years they changed how they measured though.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I have a 19 foot fiberglass fishing boat with a 65hp evinrude.

The last 65hp Evinrude was built in 1973 and it was a 3 cylinder, so that would make it 39 model years old.

That old 65 in good shape will easily outperform the F60, but the fuel use, emissions, smoke, etc. not to mention hard to get parts would not be a good comparison. Your best bet would be to bolt on a 60, 75, or 90hp E-TEC as you could use the same controls and get an adapter kit for the wiring plus possibly use the same prop if your motor is a '72 or 73 65hp.

James R

Commander

I go along with seahorse5. Although the Japanese motors are rated at the prop as opposed to Us built motors which were rated at the power head and the Japanese motor therefore delivers more power, the four strokes are way too heavy and do not have the giddyup that the two strokes have.
Seahorse5 gave you good advice. Does not have to be an E-TEC of course it could be a later model bigger horse power two stroke than what you currently have.

mmurray70

Seaman Apprentice

My current engine is a 1992 3 cyl. not sure if that would have been rated at the head or prop.

Would the F60 and F90 use the same controls? Maybe ill get the F60 now and upgrade to the 90 down the road if i find a good deal.