My Chrysler died while running.. Help!

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander
I have limited OB knowledge so please bear with me. My 707hd died while running at close to WOT. I noticed the trim lock was up like for trailering so I figured it was flooded. So I waited... Then killed my battery trying to start again. No idea why it wouldn't start. I cleaned points last season... New wires and fuel lines and CDI ignition... It's burning fuel, I can smell it and bulb stays hard. The flywheel seems to jerk back after cranking it and make a sort of jerking stop noise that I think is new... Any help is really appreciated. I just finished my restoration and I go back to school next Thursday and would really like to have just one day on the water :mad:

Edit: did a spark test.. no spark on any cyl... IGN is getting power because I can hear th high pitched EEEEE noise... the points wouldn't just go bad all of a sudden, would they? :confused:

Last edited:

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: My Chrysler died while running.. Help!

sure points can go bad at anytime . What did you mean about trim lock for trailering and
noticed it was flooding. Any more detail's would be helpful.

Nordin

Commander

Some more information please. No spark, but the CD box makes the noise?. To what CD box did you replace last year? "New" used one or a new from CDI electronics? Sounds like a bad ign.coil or CD box (if you put a used one on). Check the ign.wire from disterbuter to the coil and the points or the preamp if you have the electronic disterbuter.

fucawi

Banned

what motor ??? We dont have a clue !!!! KISS always check the simple things first ...the contacts ..

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Well, it was a brand new cd box and it makes this high pitched noise when it's getting power... Which it was doing.. It's a 71 707hd 70 horse... Do you means just check the wire from cd to dist. Is getting 12 v?

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

sure points can go bad at anytime . What did you mean about trim lock for trailering and
noticed it was flooding. Any more detail's would be helpful.

Th manual tilt lock, i believe it's called...? not trim, sorry... AKA the motor was locked all the way up, nearly horizontally. it might have been out of the water, so I was worried it overheated... but I'm getting good compression.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

ran out of water at near wot!! not good.

That was one of my original thoughts... but compression is OK? It was barely out of the water before it died... maybe for 2 seconds...

I thought it over heated and shut down or something, but the engine wasn't even that hot...?

EDIT: not sure if I did this right, but IGN is producing 12v at the dist.

Would an OHMS test for the pts be next? I don;t have anyone to turn the flywheel for me so that will have to wait..

It seems like the starter is having trouble disengaging the flywheel too... I'm thinking that might be relating to the flywheel jerking back.. any ideas???

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

bump... anyone? I have 3 days to get it running :eek:

goodtimesfishing

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Then only time my starter stuck to flywheel, my battery was to weak to produce fast enought spin for spark. Make sure your battery is good and strong-not just cranking over slowly. If you have strong battery(fast cranking) and you still have no spark...it might be the stator. Search through the forum it has the info on how to test with a meter. However if all test good and you still have no spark, pull your flywheel and make sure your magnet has not came unglued(sp?). I have a 88 50 hp and could not figure out why I had no spark...finaly pulled flywheel to do a visual at the stator and saw that the magnet(on that motor it is a flat strip that runs around the inside of the flywheel. It will stick to flywheel so don't expect it to just fall off if unglued. See if it will lift when lightly prying with screwdriver or such). I epoxyed the mag back on and had spark again. Motor has been great ever since. Good luck!!

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah... the battery was pretty fresh yesterday.. It does sound like something is causing the flywheel to jerk back when I stop cranking it. How do I pull the flywheel :confused: this is getting into uncharted waters for me.. I don't even own a torque wrench, I'm assuming I need one. edit: i searched around but really don't understand how to test the stator/ what the range of ohms should be for my model engine? which wires do I test? no current runnign through them, right?

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Well, i found that the blue ign wire was touching the engine block. I think it shorted. How should I test the coil? Can I takethe black/white wire and ground it on the carb or something and see if I can get spark from it? I hope the IGN isn't fried... again...

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Update -- fixed the wire... it runs :confused:

snwwlkr

Seaman

Yep... Usually something simple..

As far as points go.. My old 85hp had new looking points gaped correctly. It started then died after a minute.. Wore me out for days trying to solve the no spark issue only to realize a light sanding on the points solved the problem.. They felt and looked perfect.. regardless that was the problem..

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

yeah, I sanded mine last season and calibrated them earlier this year. I think that sanding them removes a factory coating so they're more vulnerable to corrosion, but mine still look great :D