Minn Kota Power Drive(non AP) repair, Drive just clicks.

Danewest

Recruit
I bought a new footpedal because it it wouldnt turn steering. Now the steering works fine but the control circuit panel only clicks when the drive is engaged. If I bypass the drive motor leads direct to a battery the drive works. Do I need a new control panel or am I missing something?

navycpo8307

Cadet
Re: Minn Kota Power Drive(non AP) repair, Drive just clicks.

Danewest,

I'm having the exact same problem. Did you ever get yours fixed? If so what did you do?

Thanks,

James

fucawi

Banned

you need to locate the item that is clicking and let us know ..Relay ?

navycpo8307

Cadet

I believe it is the relay (white piece on the control board). My Dad actually bypassed the foot control because it had two burned up of what i would call the bubble contacts and installed a flip switch to run the motor but i have no idea how he steered it. I inherited the boat and trolling motor and wanted to get it back in the water. I found a new foot pedal at Northland marine and bought it but when researching a new control board there i found out they do not carry that part.
After i removed the flip switch and reconnected the red and black wires where they were suppose the go, I, at first, did not have any steering. I checked the connections of the two red and two black wires and suddenly had steering but no motor drive. I wondered if maybe i just had a bad connection. So, after checking the connections again, I still had steering but no motor drive just the clicking and also the battery indicator would go out when pressing the foot pedal and when released it would light up again.

Sorry so long but i figured i would tell you everything that transpired with my situation.

Thanks in advance for any help you may give me.

James

Danewest

Recruit

I believe it is the relay (white piece on the control board). My Dad actually bypassed the foot control because it had two burned up of what i would call the bubble contacts and installed a flip switch to run the motor but i have no idea how he steered it. I inherited the boat and trolling motor and wanted to get it back in the water. I found a new foot pedal at Northland marine and bought it but when researching a new control board there i found out they do not carry that part.
After i removed the flip switch and reconnected the red and black wires where they were suppose the go, I, at first, did not have any steering. I checked the connections of the two red and two black wires and suddenly had steering but no motor drive. I wondered if maybe i just had a bad connection. So, after checking the connections again, I still had steering but no motor drive just the clicking and also the battery indicator would go out when pressing the foot pedal and when released it would light up again.

Sorry so long but i figured i would tell you everything that transpired with my situation.

Thanks in advance for any help you may give me.

James

I replaced the control panel and the motor works fine now. The original part has been discontinued, so I used the recomended replacement for Northern Marine Online. Unfortunatly the the Battery Indicator doesn't work properly anymore, but that was expected from the part discription. Thanks

navycpo8307

Cadet

Danewest,

Could you tell me what part number you ordered? I looked at part number 2304043 at Northlandmarine.com and it said that it should work but for 75.00 i was apprehensive about buying it since they do not take electronic parts back.

Thanks,

JAmes

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Look up wvmarine on eBay and email him with your problem. He will help you troubleshoot the motor and sell you only what you need at very good prices. He helped me get the right board for my 55AP last Spring for about $70

Danewest

Recruit

Look up wvmarine on eBay and email him with your problem. He will help you troubleshoot the motor and sell you only what you need at very good prices. He helped me get the right board for my 55AP last Spring for about $70

I used Part #2304014 (substitutes to 2304043). When I first tried it after instalation, it just clicked and I said a very bad word, then I realized the 1-10 speed setting was all the way at zero. LOL. I slid it up and it ran fine.(except for the battery meter).

Danewest

Recruit

The setting being at zero wasn't the problem with the other control panel though

navycpo8307

Cadet

Thanks,

I appreciate your help. I'm going to order it tomorrow. I'll let you know how everything turns out.

James

fucawi

Banned

clicking relays are usually caused by resistance in the supply or ground to the board or the relay itself .......relay click in ...power causes a volt drop ..relay drops out ...that repeats ....

navycpo8307

Cadet

Well Guys,

Got the control board in today and everything works! Except for the battery meter of course. Thanks guys for all of your help. I'll be trolling this weekend!!

James