Ice House and Union Valley in Sierras CA

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer
Can anyone give me some tips to catch fish out of these lakes? I have trolled them for two years now and just can?t seem to catch many fish.

I have a fish finder and see lots of them at around 100 feet, they are just not interested.

axeman1988

Seaman
Re: Ice House and Union Valley in Sierras CA

Can anyone give me some tips to catch fish out of these lakes? I have trolled them for two years now and just can?t seem to catch many fish.

I have a fish finder and see lots of them at around 100 feet, they are just not interested.

well to be honest i don't really fish high mountain lakes... highest i've been would be pinecrest and that is a small lake. i did a bit of looking and find that your lake your fishing has,lake trout, koke's, and rainbows and brown trout. some information that i know about koke's is usually by now and this may not pertain to your lake but the bit usually stops do to the fact that the fish begin there spawn. now the browns i know from the lakes i fish they tend to be more active during the colder months. summer action for browns is rare, but that doesn't mean they won't be willing to take a bait. browns are fish eaters and usually take bait that resembles a fish is some way. the record browns caught on the lake i fish were taken by guys using rapalas latest record of 13 pounds was taken by a bass fisherman from the bank. now rainbows are like a mix of a brown and koke, they eat just about anything. but if you want to catch bows that are hogs i like to use something that resembles a fish. the lake trout i have no experience fishing for but i hear they are fish eaters as well, and they tend to be on the bottom of the lake, even in winter. so try bouncing your down rigger on the bottom and raise it up about 3-5 feet. also food for thought trolling speed will make or break you and its always good to try different speeds, when on pedro i was trolling about 2mph and nocked the tar out of the kings, which unlike kokes aren't spawning right now a little faster and i probably would of only caught bows. i tend to find from me at 2.5mph you'll catch more bows than koke's or kings slow down and you'll catch more koke's or kings, like i said its all about experimentation its taken me 3 years to figure out melones, also certain baits only work at certain speeds keep that in mind, also color of bait and flashers or dogers is important, color cordination for me i feel is key in bring in fish. also ask other fisherman on the lake for tips don't be too nosy as most fisherman don't like to give up the tricks of their trade. also try other lakes in your area maybe your doing as good as it get there, like i say if you come close to limiting out or do limit out you did as good as your could remember fishing not catching. good luck out there and safe fishing.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Bad day fishing at Icehouse, not even a bite.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

So I was finally able to catch some fish in Ice House. I ended up catching them at 10 to 12 feet right up against the bank, pulling a 4 blade Bolo, solid silver, and a solid orange wedding ring spinner tipped with a very small chunk of crawler. Water temp was 56 which was much cooler than last time I fished it at 71. They are from 12 inches to 14 1/2 and all Rainbows, and I saved the eggs for this coming up weekends fishing trip.
Pics:
View attachment 119871View attachment 119872