question about 1975 Evinrude 70hp

wiesmanr

Seaman Apprentice
going to look at a 1975 Evinrude 70hp on saturday. where is the lower unit oil check hole located? I would like to check for water in the oil. thanks

BonairII

Commander
Re: question about 1975 Evinrude 70hp

Pull the heads...it's under the #1 piston. :rolleyes:

Just kidding. I would assume it's the lowest most screw on the lower unit. Probably a flathead screw.

wiesmanr

Seaman Apprentice

Wouldn't the lowest screw be the drain? Is there a level check hole where I could look at the oil?

BonairII

Commander

I doubt it. Normally there is an upper and lower screw. To fill fluid, you pump fluid into lower hole until it starts to weep out the upper hole.

Your going to want to pull the drain plug and check fluid and also check for metal shavings.

gjmsd

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The lower screw also normally has a magnet to catch metal debris. A good indication of wear if it hasn't been cleaned in a while. Pulling the lower screw will allow the oil to seep out slowly, no need to worry about it flowing and making a mess.

soundchaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You must pull the bottom slot type drain screw. If there's water, it will be sitting at the bottom and be the first thing to come out if there is water at all. And If the oil is milky it's been run and has water in it.