alternative to those expensive marine lifting rings / eye lets.

graphicjunkie

Seaman
When I sold my 125 Force, I messed up and sold my engine lift set up. I left it all attached to the engine.
I went to Ace and looked to see what they had. Theirs were only rated at 300lbs. But they were $5... marine grade? $40+.
The only visible difference between the Ace model and the marine model was that the marine model was all one piece, and the Ace model isn't.
So I bought one, took it home and welded the gap shut, thinking maybe that was the weight limiting factor or weak point...making it one solid and complete ring.
I hooked it up to my 175, which weighs closer to 400lbs, lifted the engine with a hoist so that it was only about an inch off the ground. Then connected some straps to the body of the motor and my A frame for security incase it snapped and the engine tried to topple over.
I left it like that for a couple of hours. Came back and it hadn't budged.

So! If you don't want to fork out $40+ for a lifting ring, get one of these and weld the gap shut...then spend the difference on beer in celebration!! :D

eyeBolt2.jpg

Hope this helps someone out there.

ohioriverat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: alternative to those expensive marine lifting rings / eye lets.

Now make me a mercury flywheel puller/lifting eye!! good thinking.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I've always used a flywheel puller for motor that didn't have a lift eye.

ohioriverat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah that works but if someone is selling a merc puller i need one.

Haffiman

Commander

Yeah that works but if someone is selling a merc puller i need one.

Try E-bay or the Merc forum. You have to specify which, I believe Merc has several.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

http://www.bairstow.com/department/eye-bolts--swivel-hoist-rings-16.cfm?killnav=1

Taking a hardware item rated at 300 # and doing your own mod and figuring it is now good to go for 400# + when there are options that are as cheap and are actually intended for the purpose is a pretty false economy??
Even Rube Goldberg thinks this is a bad idea. :eek::facepalm:

dwco5051

Commander

Now make me a mercury flywheel puller/lifting eye!! good thinking.

I made one years ago but not everyone has a metal lathe in their shop. When I tried to find it a few years back I couldn't find it and found a company on Ebay that was selling them complete with all parts for about 15 bucks.