Interested in Boating Instruction/Introduction - Madison, WI

webhead49

Cadet
Is there anybody here on the forums that would be willing to teach a couple the basics of boating here in the Madison area?

We are very interested in boating (specifically runabout sized, for skiing and tubing), but have nobody in our family or circle of friends who are on the water--and nobody to learn from.

Very willing to hire somebody for training, but would also be happy to pay trip expenses. We would love to learn all the basics: launching and recovering a boat, piloting, etc.

Can anybody recommend somebody in the area here, or within an hour or two of Madison?

Feel free to shoot me a message or post here. And thanks for all of the advice I've been able to lurk around and read here over the last few months.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Interested in Boating Instruction/Introduction - Madison, WI

i'd help if i were in yer area, but i'm not. in lieu of that. have you checked with your local us power squadron or uscg aux. these are two professional organizations that will provide you with proper instruction on all of your questions. you'll make some good friends + learn a bunch of proper things to do and not do. you could also go to the library or buy the book chapmans seamenship and boat handling. this book is very thick and covers nothing but boating. all aspects of boating.. a very good resource..

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Hi and welcome to iboats.

First off, do you have a boat?

If so, what size is the boat, outboard or I/O powered ?

If there is no boat in your garage yet, it might be a little premature to spend several days on the water learning things that won't pertain to the rig you end up buying.

There are several members in the Madison or Milwaukee area that may consider helping you, hopefully they will see this thread.

This is likely to be a several day program.

You can start to stuff your brain by taking this online boater education course.

http://www.boat-ed.com/Wisconsin/index.html?gclid=CNzFnJTH66oCFcPBKgodpDAyQQ

Depending on your age, it may be required anyway. But it will give you the basic rules of the water and safety info that you need to know.

webhead49

Cadet

This is my chicken and egg problem, I suppose. I've actually gone through most of the boating safety courses online (we are more than aged enough to be older than the requirement). I have the means to buy a boat, but would prefer to avoid a dealers markup.

But not knowing what to even look for in the running condition and cosmetics of a boat yet, let alone launch it, I would feel like I was wasting a sellers time.

Anybody have a 20' Sea Ray bow rider they want to sell and throw in a several day piloting and basic maintenance class with?

That is likely the style of boat we would like to get familiar with. Really anybody within a couple hour drive that was willing I could possibly manage a trip, but I would also like to learn on the local water and launches as well.

I certainly don't want to be "that guy" at the launch on a Sarturday morning my first time out :)

JoLin

Vice Admiral

This is my chicken and egg problem, I suppose. I've actually gone through most of the boating safety courses online (we are more than aged enough to be older than the requirement). I have the means to buy a boat, but would prefer to avoid a dealers markup.

But not knowing what to even look for in the running condition and cosmetics of a boat yet, let alone launch it, I would feel like I was wasting a sellers time.

Anybody have a 20' Sea Ray bow rider they want to sell and throw in a several day piloting and basic maintenance class with?

In THIS market, that should not be a problem to arrange at all. Heck, buy my 24' Chris*Craft- not only will I teach you how to use it, I'll be your personal 'dock valet' for the rest of the season! In fact, I'll CARRY you from your car to the boat...

:D

webhead49

Cadet

Ha, I found a really great Sea Ray 200 Select... But don't know what to do with it!! :)

And I'd buy that Chris Craft just to see you carry me to the dock once... :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I hear that Chris Craft on Long Island is gonna go cheap this week, even cheaper next week after hurricane Irene hits.

Sounds like you are looking for an i/o boat. Mine are all outboards, and smaller than that, and I can't swing the time right now, or I would be there.

Keep this thread active for a week or so, so that people get a chance to see it.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Did you say you currently have a sea ray? If you have a boat let me know. I'm two hours away from Madison. Sunday morning may work.

webhead49

Cadet

I do not currently have a sea ray. I could go buy one, but I assume without having some experience on the water my luck will have me buy a wrecked lemon--so I'd like to learn. I can be anywhere within a few hours of here any time this weekend on short notice. :)

ziggy

Admiral

so ya've taken the classes. ya got a clue now. so go buy a boat (sounds like ya got the means) and join one of the organizations i listed above. you meet people with boats and experience in these places.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I hear that Chris Craft on Long Island is gonna go cheap this week, even cheaper next week after hurricane Irene hits.

The Chris*Craft is on the hard at the broker's marina. I spent a couple hours yesterday battening down my Four Winns. That's the one I'm concerned about...

Agree 100% with Ziggy's comment. I'm a USPS member and these are some of the nicest and most helpful people I've ever known. Almost every single one of them will volunteer to go out with you and teach you the ropes... we all just want to go boating, and the chance to go OPG (Other People's Gas) is just icing on the cake :)

bear_69cuda

Commander

Good morning,

I live in Middleton, and have been boating on Madison Lakes for 3 years now, but family and friends have been on the local lakes since I was a kid... USCG aux holds classes in the spring http://danewaters.com/events/boater.aspx

I would be more than happy to teach or show you how I launch, or if you get a boat, could meet and assist. We're on lake Mendota, every weekend from mid May to early October.

Is the Sea Ray mentioned the one on hwy M?

regards,

webhead49

Cadet

Looks like my reply got lost, let me try again.

bear69_cuda - I appreciate the offer. If you are willing, I can be available almost any weekend, any time, and if you would be interested in giving me a half day of your time I would be more than happy to cover your expenses and take you to lunch.

The sea ray I was looking at is in Iowa, so I don't know about the one on M. What can you tell me about the M Sea Ray, where is it? :)

-

I'm not brave enough to go buy a boat without knowing enough to know how to make sure it is all in proper working order. And I'm patient enough to find some time to learn. :) I appreciate your confidence in my needing to go buy a boat as a next step, but I know enough to know I don't know enough yet to take my family out on the water.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Once you find the boat you like and fits your needs (length, engine power, engine type either merc or volvo...) you need to hire a marine surveyor. They can be found at one of your local marinas by the madison lakes. Call around and ask the marinas if they do boat evaluations. Floors, transom, motor, outdrive etc... You will definitely want to buy a boat with this done. Click back a ways on some of these pages in this forum and you will find alot of threads about newbie boat owner need advice. Lots of suggestions there. Since youre coming up to the end of the season youre weekends are going to be limited. I would not rush into a purchase just because you want to get in one day before the deep fall/winter. Patience young padawan..........patience. And good luck

webhead49

Cadet

Cuda - Your private message box is full! :)

webhead49

Cadet

Just throwing it out there here at the end of the work day--I'm free all day tomorrow if anybody in the area has time or inclination. Cuda, if you see this and are going out this weekend and wouldn't mind company, let me know.