skintite

Skintite

Recruit
I have a 87 force 50hp motor that I got for free its mounted to an 87 bayliner. That I also got for free. I have had it out many times. And it runs great. Really runs good. However last time I had it out it seems to jump. Almost like a gear is slipping momentarily. At all RPMs. You can see the engine jolt a little when this happens. It lasts for a split second. Can anyone give me some good advace as to what I could zero in on. I suspect lower leg linkage. Or lower gears.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: skintite

Unhook the linkage next time out.Shift by hand.If it still does it.Then the clutch dog is bad and needs replacing.
Usually the gears go after the dog.
The dog surfaces can be milled down,J

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Just a few things. Check for spark on all plug wires. Do a compression test all cylinders. Post what you find out. Could be the propeller is spun or slipping at the hub. This would be the thick rubber that holds the prop to the splined piece that your bolt
fits through middle of prop.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Does it make any noise when this happens?

Revving?

Clunking?

Can you feel it in the boat, like you hit a log?

Could also be something as simple as water in the gas.

Skintite

Recruit

It does clunk. Like I hit a log. If I manually rev the motor it dosnt do it. Only when I have it in gear. At all rpm levels it seems to jump out of gear. for a split second. Feel it thoughout the whole boat. a frequent loud clunk. You can see the motor jump a little when it does it. TOOK OFF THE LOWER GEAR HOUSING. Changed the gear oil. remounted it. Checked the linkage. still doing it. Before I dismantle the lower gears I want to be as sure as I can.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Like jerry said, rounded corners on the clutchdog.

Need to take it all apart, have a shop reface the parts, or replace with new or used.

Wouldn't run it like that or you risk more severe damage.

Skintite

Recruit

Update. I found a lower unit for a 91 for a hundred bucks. Changed the oil...checked the water pump....bolted it on...adjusted the linkage...It worked...I am back on the water...for now. Thanks for all the help. Post any cautions please.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

When shifting don't take your time.Put it right into gear.Slowly will chew up the dog.J