Houston area fabricator found!

Spectre5922

Recruit
Hey guys,

In the search for a tank or fabricator, I found a good source in the Houston area. I talked to him for almost an hour yesterday. He has YEARS of experience and has a shop in Pasadena. He is also a machinist, and you know how anal they are about tolerances and perfection. We discussed what I was looking for and he gave me a great price. I can't buy a poly tank or custom fabbed aluminum tank anywhere else for anywhere near what he quoted me. He also does custom leaning posts, t-tops, rocket launchers and just about anything else that you would want for your boat that requires welding. I will be taking him my old tank (for dimensions and fitting locations) either this weekend or next week. He is going to be building me a new tank out of 5051 with the same dimensions as the original one with 2 baffles and a sender (no more direct-read gauges) for a fantastic price. I will post a review with pics as soon as I get the tank back. Here is his information:

Weld-Rite Aluminum and Boat Works

Mark (owner)

Last edited by a moderator:

Spectre5922

Recruit
Re: Houston area fabricator found!

Unfortunately, I feel the need to post up negatively now. I took Mark my old tank for dimensions and fittings on Friday the 9th. He said he needed at least $125 up front for materials. I paid him, got a receipt and left, anxious to get my new tank back by Wednesday the 14th at the latest. On Wednesday the 14th, he said it would be ready by Friday. On Friday, he said he needed more material, and that he would not charge any extra for the build but had to order it. The next week rolled around and he said that he didn't have enough cash on hand for the material and asked if I could go ahead and finish paying for the tank (He was charging me materials only). I spent another $15 in gas and toll to take him the rest of the money (I was smart enough to get receipts). He told me on Thursday the 15th that the material would not be in until Friday the 16th to finish the tank. I called him on Friday at which time he told me that he would have it ready for me to pick up on Saturday for sure. I told him that I had a family event on Saturday, and that I would pick it up yesterday (Monday the 19th). I called him all day yesterday but his phone went straight to voicemail. I finally got hold of him today. He said that he had to work double shifts over the weekend. I asked when I could come pick up the tank and was told "I should be able to hustle on it and have it ready to pick up this afternoon" (so it was NOT ready). I told him that I would call him around lunch time to get a better idea of what time to come get it. I tried calling him at 12:00, 12:30, 1:00, 1:30 and 2:00. So far, he has not answered or returned my calls and his voice mailbox is full. I know he is a very busy guy and that this is his second job (and his "true love") but this is flat out rediculous! What should have been 4 days has turned into almost 3 weeks! I still have no idea about the quality of his work because after 3/4 of a month, I STILL DON'T HAVE A TANK! He may have great quality. Hopefully I will eventually get the tank back and see for myself. However, I would NOT recommend him after my experience! If he does not have the tank ready in the next day or two, I'm going to demand my money back and go buy a poly tank, even if it is not the dimensions that I was looking for.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well your first post was bragging and the second is disgruntled ........

Possibly you should ask here in the forum first.

Spectre5922

Recruit

You are absolutely right Bob. I should have. I'm really new to boating and most of the people that I see on the forums are several states away. I'm used to having to find things for myself. From now on I will post up requesting help before I strike out on my own. I am also going to give the guy another chance. I have seen his work. It is beautiful. I am just very frustrated about the amount of time that this is taking. The guys on the Classic Aquasport forums said that this is normal for custom fabricators. I have never had anything custom fabricated, so I didn't know what to expect.