Slow down for trolling?

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer
1990 Force 120, 20? Bayliner:

I would like to slow my boat down for trolling on days of fishing. I already have a trolling plate and have used buckets. Would rather change to a different prop on the days of fishing then run a parachute and mess around with salmon getting tangled in it.

What size and pitch would you recommend to slow me down and not blow up my motor?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Slow down for trolling?

If you are using the correct prop for your rig, keep using it.

Try using a sock under the boat, rigged up to the front cleats.

I don't think you are every going to get the precise speed control needed to control lure action, if you are using the main motor.

2 - 2.6 mph is the speed needed for most salmon lures on Lake Michigan.

Are you using a Sub-Troll or something similar to measure actual lure speed ?

Winds and currents can drive you wacky and really effect the actual lure speed.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have you considered a kicker or even :eek: a troller??

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Kicker, oh yah! I've considered it. The problem is when I involve my wife in the discussion. (-)$$$$$ is all she see?s.

fishrdan

Admiral

What kind of a plate are you running? I use a Troll-a-matic and it slows my 18' boat down well, probably around 1.5MPH at idle. It's being used on a 140HP Mercruiser with a 15.5x 19P prop. I threw a 14x19P prop on my boat for prop testing and at idle the boat was crawling, I had to bring the engine up over idle just to move the boat through the marina... I didn't like how the 14x19 worked and went back to the 15.5x19, even though it trolls faster.

I wouldn't depend on swapping props to get down to trolling speed. The pitch would need to be very low and that wouldn't be good for the main engine, too easy to shoot past the WOT RPM.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

I am using a happy troller. It's roughly 12x14 or maybe a little bigger. I don't know what size prop, it's just whatever was on the boat when I purchased it used about 4 years ago.

I tilt my motor way up and it's still not as slow as it needs to be. I don't know how fast it's moving but way faster than trolling speed. I had a 16' Glassply with a 60 horse Johnson that this plate slowed down to a crawl. I smacked the fish at that speed. If I had to guess, I would say 4 to 4.5 mph on troll with my 120 with motor tilted up.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Trim the motor all the way down to go slower not up.. I thought the same thing but tilting it up took me from 2.6 - 3.0. I trimmed all the way down and went to 2.4. Then I bought a MercMonitor with troll control and I can re-tune the motor and slow to 500 RPM and 1.8 mph. Perfect speed for up at Eagle Lake trolling a night crawler. 2.6 when I'm pullin hardware.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Read this thread here:

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=297951

I have done this on a buddy's boat a couple times.

Rig the harness way up front and fairly snug to the hull.
If worried about the fish getting into it, just pull up the dump line which will collapse the sock and pull it up against the hull.

Make sure it can't reach the prop, and don't forget it is there when ready to leave.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Okay after checking with my garmin I am trolling at exactly 1.5. I should have used that to begin with. I believe 1.5 is a good speed for trout. What do you think?

fishrdan

Admiral

1.5 sounds slow enough to me. Do some S turns if you want to slow your lures even more, this will speed up the outboard lure and slow down the inboard lure, can make fish strike with the speed change.