Very close to a cancer cure...If not there already

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/breakthrough-cancer-docs-abuzz-lymphoma-treatment/story?id=14283544

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immune_system#Killer_T_cells

Notice the body it self kills off the cancer in such volume that one becomes ill just from the body flushing out the dead cancer...That is remarkable coming from a family who has a extremely high rate of cancer...I have never heard of such a thing Yet there it is.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/health&id=8299959

The researchers described the experience of one 64-year-old patient in detail. There was no change for two weeks, but then he became ill with chills, nausea and fever. He and the other two patients were hit with a condition that occurs when a large number of cancer cells die at the same time - a sign that the gene therapy is working.

"It was like the worse flu of their life," June said. "But after that, it's over. They're well."

This is something to support on a massive scale...This could end chemo and radiation...there will be resistance.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Very close to a cancer cure...If not there already

There have been a few drugs that have come out recently and been approved by the FDA that work like this with the immune sytem. One if these is from a company I invested in a long time ago and sold off last year called Dendreon. Their drug is called Provenge and is touted to help Prostate cancer. The one major disadvantage so far with the drug is the cost. Treatment with provenge cost $100,000. That's going to be a stumbling block with these cancer drugs that work with the immune system.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Prosta...nths-life-worth-100k/story?id=11269159&page=2
Patients taking Provenge lived an extra 4.1 months vs those that took a placebo. That's the other stumbling block!

jeffengle

Seaman Apprentice

My dad had prostate cancer about 13 years ago. He chose not to go thru any radiation, chemo or really evasive surgeries. He went to the University of San Diego and had Cryosurgery. It was an outpatient surgery. Basicly they kept him over night because of his age. His PSA to this day is still .01

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

There have been a few drugs that have come out recently and been approved by the FDA that work like this with the immune sytem. One if these is from a company I invested in a long time ago and sold off last year called Dendreon. Their drug is called Provenge and is touted to help Prostate cancer. The one major disadvantage so far with the drug is the cost. Treatment with provenge cost $100,000. That's going to be a stumbling block with these cancer drugs that work with the immune system.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Prosta...nths-life-worth-100k/story?id=11269159&page=2
Patients taking Provenge lived an extra 4.1 months vs those that took a placebo. That's the other stumbling block!

Yes many things are on the edge, However this goes far beyond the edge. Imagine if you will it is a chemo therapy...One dose and two weeks later the cancer has been eradicated however your body has a tough time flushing out all of the dead cells...This therapy could make any other approach to cancer passe. One treatment that goes beyond anything known and to top it off....No drugs no chemo no radiation, truly remarkable...There will not even be a placebo study done...why no treatment ever preformed has had such results.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

There will not even be a placebo study done...why no treatment ever preformed has had such results.
FDA approval will require a placebo study.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Yes i do agree with that, However the nature of the process is unique in that no foreign substance is used....the t cells are your own they are just turned on to reconize the cancer....The implications are huge....Aids....or any foreign celluar disruption can be terminated. The mere thought of a needle turns on this process...Now that would be just as ground breaking. That really is just how big this is.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Heard that the a University in Canada found a cure years ago but due to the cheep cost and not being able to make a high profit from it the drug companies decided notto develope. The real loosers are the people. Heard of this from someone on the development team, with right conections can make concotion yourself for about $20.00 for cure. Shame

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

My Mother is a three time Cancer survivor, Breast Cancer twice and Ovarian Cancer the last time, I have seen her go from a vibrant beautiful mother, to a weak shell of a woman and then recover to the best that she could, Chemo and Radiation have destroyed much of her bone mass as well as her brain power, I pray that this is the end of this terrible disease, if it ever comes out that someone long ago came up with a cancer cure but it was to cheap to mass produce there will be long lines of people waiting to beat the heck out of some politicians and or Doctors, I will be one of them in line!