1957 Golden Javelin going on a 1957 Feather Craft Ranger III

3pits

Recruit
A little history first. My grandfather bought this boat new in 1957, I inherited it about 1988 when he passed. Due to a recent change in my life I have decided to get her in the
water.

My Grand Pappy bought this boat new from Sears, Roebuck, at the Sears store on Ponce De Leon in the now posh Poncey Highlands. The original motor was a Johnson Sea Horse. Someone stole it and some other parts that made it useful: electrical connections, fuel connection, and steering cables.

He also purchased the Elgin trailer from Sears at the same time. At one time had built a wooden boat and sold it. He decided he liked the lower up keep of this boat...The company has gone out of business, they designed boats with the nostalgic look of the 40's and 50's planes, and employed the men and women that built those curved aluminum planes of that era...

The boat was built on Bishop street in Atlanta, near the waterworks off of Northside Drive. Not far from where Grand Pappy lived.

I have towed this boat around for 24 years, never putting it in the water or registering the trailer or the boat.

One time I filled it up with water to see if it would leak, no leaks, or so I thought.

The old metal pressurized tanks have rotted away.

I purchased a tow-able tube back in the mid 90's. It is still in the package. HA! thats putting the cart before the horse!

My Uncle who was keeping the boat for my Grand Pappy, since he moved into a elder condo facility in Sandy Springs, near Atlanta, was about to take it to the scrap yard when I happened to ask about it... because the motor had been stolen and they did not want to put any money into it and thought it was junk.
My father and his siblings learned to ski behind this boat, I learned, my sister learned,,, my father says he and his sister would slalom behind this boat and he is about my size 6?4? 200# (probably 175# back then), he claims his sister would get up on his shoulders while skiing behind this boat? I have a hard time seeing
that?

Just before I towed it away, Uncle Lynn told me ' "good luck" it will sink if you leave it in the water over night...' ugh..

About 10 years ago I decided I wanted a Johnson Golden Javelin motor (it is a 35 hp and the boat is rated at 30 hp) I did not know this until after the purchase... the internet was still fairly new and the fastest connection I could get was 56k at the time. I found a motor restored, and called a day late... then I found one not restored-no pictures, I felt I might not get another chance since these motors are rare and very sought after... I bought it sight unseen. There are some issues with it, but I do not know if they are from the shipping from NJ or the guys that reassembled it for me or what... I had a boat repair place put the motor
together and install some new parts... then I put it on the boat and it sat for 9.5 years or so. They said it was running fine when they assembled it, "everything is working as it should..."

About 9.5 years ago I rebuilt the trailer, I took the trailer apart and had it acid dipped. I rebuilt the axles and installed new bearings, all stainless steel hardware, new lights and wiring, new rollers, new runners with indoor outdoor carpet, new winch rope. I painted the trailer with Rustoleum hardhat stainless with a mist of hard hat gloss black. then moved to the 50 acre farm and became somewhat of an indentured servant for my now ex-gf and her properties. The boat/motor/trailer sat in a barn shed side for the entire time....... yea.. I know...

My main issues are:

steering, need some parts and I am contacting the salvage yards listed on the front page. Does it do any good to install a turn buckles in
the cable running down the side in the stern of the boat?

I have looked over many pictures on the web, some show a pulley and spring at the motor (front handle) others show the spring in the terminating corner of the boat (bolted through the transom) and just a pulley at the front handle of the motor... which is correct? and why do you need springs back there in the first place?

How do you connect the cable to the pulley on the steering wheel? there are 2 pulleys sharing a middle ridge and that has 3 holes in it, like the cable should be woven through those holes.. I think you need to attach it to the pulley some how,, if so how?
is there anyway to revitalize the Attwood steering wheel?

Fuel delivery: I plan to change from the pressure system to a mikuni fuel pump, but I cannot find a way to get the vacuum to the pump. After reading about 5 web pages on how I am still confused. Could I have a machine shop drill an intake and install a male vacuum nipple? or is there an easier simpler way to do it on this exact motor?

Electrical: start, this is pretty easy,,,
stopping the motor.. this one is confusing me since I am not familiar with the wiring/cut out switch and possible mercury bulb on the throttle rod..

I need a wiring diagram including the start switch and the wires on the motor, there are 2 wires going to the switch that end in the boat side electrical connector (and I do not have a harness from boat to motor) that neither get power in the start or run position. do they ground out when the key turns off, to turn off the motor?

What is the device on the bottom of the carb that has a wire going to it?

I have found a few frayed wires since I started this project and fixed them, but the one on the bulb near the throttle rod is too close to solder..

Is the only way to shut off the motor by pulling out the choke or is the bulb on the throttle a mercury kill bulb? could I wire in a manual kill switch or wire this
to my keyed start switch?

I pulled the following from another thread: The wire coming from under the flywheel (to points) should go to the center of the cut out switch (that's not the fuel pump). (referring to the round/square thing on the port side of the motor) There should be another black wire attached to one of the side nuts on the cut out switch. That goes on to the ground (small terminal) of the starter solenoid. There should be a third wire from the same side terminal on the cut out switch
going to the mercury switch on the throttle control.

and I thought I saw on a different thread that the small terminal on the starter solenoid (small one on the power output side) goes to ground, and the above seems to indicate this too.. I just want to double verify this. Because once you let the smoke out of the wires I don't think anyone has figured out how to get it back in...;)

Other questions and concerns or things I want to confirm:
fuel to gas ratio is 24:1 ? so that is 5.33 ounces of oil per gallon of fuel? 128:5.33 = 24:1 so that would be 26.65 ounces of oil for a 5 gal container.. so I
could probably use one qt per 5 gallon tank?

80 psi is the minimum pressure for each cylinder

I took her to Lake Hartwell near my house and backed the boat, still attached to the trailer into the water,, without the motor.. the boat lifted the trailer off the ramp with ease. Unfortunately even with that little weight there was a section of about 6" that leaked along the bottom edge of the transom near the drain... I think years of water and freezing temps.. some ice expanded the rivets and they just need to be punched a few good times to help re-seal them..

I plan on getting a bilge pump just in case and tightening up the rivets once I find the leaks,, then as a last resort buying/using Gluvit as per recommendations on this site.

I have downloaded and read the advice about starting a motor that has been sitting a while, but my motor was professionally put together with the intent of
using it almost immediately. I did not,, I plan on putting marvel mystery oil in the cylinders, and maybe cleaning the carb little.. hoping the inside and jets are not clogged with varnish.... is there anything else I need to do... remembering the lower end was serviced 10 years ago and never used... the spark plugs and wires look new, the fuel hoses look new,, the shop replaced the points and coils.. I think..I can check the receipt...

Any boat and motor specific advice or answers to my questions and concerns is very welcome.

This is going to look awesome behind my 78 Fj40 Land Cruiser or 72 Fj55 Land Cruiser...

Attachments

• 2011-08-01 13.39.12.jpg
    2011-08-01 13.39.12.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 2

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1957 Golden Javelin going on a 1957 Feather Craft Ranger III

It's a piece of junk.........give it to me! :)

32 oz of tcwIII oil per 6 gallons is correct,
I'd change the water pump impeller because it's likely taken a set.
You can drill out and tap one of the intake bypass covers and install a brass nipple for your pulse vaccuum source, or PM F_R for a bypass cover adapter that you can bolt on an OMC fuel pump and fix it like the factory did a couple of years later.

If the compression on both cylinders is equal I'd not worry about it and see how it ran.

The device on the carb with the single wire going to it is the electric choke.

The springs on the cables absorb the shock of the motor when it hits full travel when turning hard one way or the other.

If it doesn't have a factory kill switch ( I believe it does), then you can easily wire up your own. You just run a wire from each terminal of your kill switch to each set of points under the flywheel. It kills the motor by shorting across the points.

I loved your boat and your motor choice. I hope you post a pic when you get it all done.
Thank goodness you didn't let your Unc. scrap it!
Hope this helps,
JBJ

BonairII

Commander

Put a much nicer set of registration numbers on her. ;)

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Excellent. I also have a Ranger 3 with a '62 Lark 40 on it.

Here's a wiring diagram with a generator in it. Ignore the generator part if you don't have one on it.

View attachment 110101

Attachments

• 1957-1959 35hp Wiring with generator.jpg
    1957-1959 35hp Wiring with generator.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Here's my 160 lb buddy skiing behind my Ranger/Lark a couple of weeks ago.

BTW, that's quite the story. I cant ever imagine having a boat that long and never trying it out! I also bought some Gluvit this summer but never tried it out yet. Keep us posted!

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 1

3pits

Recruit

There are comments and questions underlined in the quote. Thanks in advance!

It's a piece of junk.........give it to me! :) OKAY, when I am finished restoring it....you want me to deliver it? :D:D

32 oz of tcwIII oil per 6 gallons is correct, Thanks
I'd change the water pump impeller because it's likely taken a set. What does that mean? I think they installed a new impeller when they assembled it, I will bring the receipt tomorrow and post what was done when it was assembled
You can drill out and tap one of the intake bypass covers and install a brass nipple for your pulse vaccuum source, or PM F_R for a bypass cover adapter that you can bolt on an OMC fuel pump and fix it like the factory did a couple of years later. I am not sure what a bypass cover is, sorry for my ignorance

If the compression on both cylinders is equal I'd not worry about it and see how it ran. OKAY

The device on the carb with the single wire going to it is the electric choke. really? because there is a choke knob on the front plate...that operates a lever on the front/top of the carb. Ill look to see if they both operate the same lever from different ends.... cool, then I get to use my electric choke button on the dash! yea! so why is it labeled "to shut off motor pull choke"?

The springs on the cables absorb the shock of the motor when it hits full travel when turning hard one way or the other. Roger!

If it doesn't have a factory kill switch ( I believe it does), then you can easily wire up your own. You just run a wire from each terminal of your kill switch to each set of points under the flywheel. It kills the motor by shorting across the points. Cool!

I loved your boat and your motor choice. I hope you post a pic when you get it all done. will do! Thanks for your input.
Thank goodness you didn't let your Unc. scrap it!
Hope this helps, Thanks again!
JBJ

I have already purchased some new registration stickers just the other day. Those were from the 80's.... there is a GA registration sticker on the dash from 1967,, the year I was born... I am going to try to save that one.

Samo_ott, will do. I appreciate the diagram and the photo is great!

I got it I was a poor college student and have always put my play money into guns and land cruisers... horses, tractors, dogs,,, girlfriends.. ugh!

Also, should I pull the thing connected to the front of the carb (its automotive equivalent is an air filter housing) and clean the carb out before trying to start it?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Read the "awakening a sleeping outboard" at the top of the forum under top secret stuff to see what to do to the engine before starting it. Also, I have the '57 Johnson 35hp parts manual if you want it. (Not sure if it's specifically for the golden javelin or if there is a difference though). If you want it, PM me your email address and request.

jbjennings

Captain

The rubber impeller blades get squeezed as they go by the narrower side of the water pump housing. Over time, the blades will harden and take the shape (curved) that they were in inside the pump housing when "set" up for a long period. Hence, folks call it "taking a set". It will keep the impeller from pumping water good at all speeds. If it's set up for longer than a couple of years, it's best to change it, than risk overheating the motor. After sitting for 9.5 years, it's almost doubtless that you'll need a new one.

The bypass covers are the 2 little covers on the side of the engine block, held on by 4 or 5 screws. If you check the "top secret files" at the top of this forum, there should be a thread with pics explaining how to convert your motor to a fuel pump, and you can see the bypass covers in the pics.

I guess if it says to pull the choke to shut off motor, then it doesn't have a kill switch. Some of the older ones don't. I WOULD rig one up because I think they restart easier with a kill switch because it doesn't flood the motor, and if the motor ever hits something and comes out of the water, a kill switch is very handy to prevent over-reving the motor. It's easy to do. I've had good luck with outdoor style kill switches for old tractors at the hardware store that farmers use. They have a rubber cover and are pretty cheap. 2 terminals is what you want.

I love your boat, I wish Samott would find me one around the block for a couple of hundred so you and he wouldn't be the only ones to own a feathercraft ranger. :)
I like those older Toyota trucks, too.
Later,
JBJ

3pits

Recruit

The rubber impeller blades get squeezed as they go by the narrower side of the water pump housing. Over time, the blades will harden and take the shape (curved) that they were in inside the pump housing when "set" up for a long period. Hence, folks call it "taking a set". It will keep the impeller from pumping water good at all speeds. If it's set up for longer than a couple of years, it's best to change it, than risk overheating the motor. After sitting for 9.5 years, it's almost doubtless that you'll need a new one. AH HA! I understand now..now to figure out how to get to the impeller blades.... the search button is your friend here too, huh?

I was at work for a few hours researching the bypass cover/pumps/gaskets and everything needed, seems pretty easy, and the only 2 variables are, if F_R does not respond.. is what pump and does a fuel connector from a 10 hp motor or a 55 hp motor matter?

I should have believed you in the beginning,,, I went home and yep the manual pull knob is connected to the electric choke actuator.

Thanks again for your time and input. I purchased a fuse block today and tried to decifer the wiring diagram last night but could not read the amp for the fuse panel.

I should have it rewired tomorrow and the only thing I will lack (electrically) is the huge bullet connector to take power to the starter,, I think I have some for the smaller pins,,,

I have located all the parts for the fuel system upgrade and can order them and the steering control tomorrow...now just need to find the ss coated cable.. oh yea and an impeller..

how do I connect the cable to the steering wheel pulley?
What diameter cable do I use, I found some clamps in a battery box (that I am not sure if they were for this boat) and the holes are very small, maybe 1/8th"....

try this,, there is one not far from you,, I looked at the boats in the following link,, they are not as complete or nice as mine, but you can do easy research with the mother site.

http://boat.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/boat....craft&state=&ps=&pe=&ys=&ye=&so=d&submit=+GO+

3pits

Recruit

I wanted to add a few things to this and ask some more questions.

Is 1/8th " steering coated cable okay?, I have seen at a few boat places they sell 3/16"... but at my local hardware store, that seems too large...

To anyone reading this that is new, use the search feature and the "salvage yard" link page here on the forum... there is a part on ebay for $85 that I can get from a salvage yard for $25....

The wire that was connected to the mercury bulb on the throttle has broken, do I need to replace this? (I think it is to turn off the motor when the throttle is turned way down)

Also, I have searched the web, but how can I polish the bare aluminum without hitting the anodized hull?