Buying a 1994 Scarab sprint with a 3.0 needsome advice..

Ziggy4

Seaman
I found a 1994 18.5ft scarab sprint speed boat with a 3.0 motor. The boat seems to be in good shape and the motor according to the owner runs good. I will be checking this boat out tomorow and going for a test ride. Does anyone know anything about this boat? Anything I should look for? I was wondering if this boat would be good to island hope and if it will take some waves ok. Would anyone recommend this boat as a good small boat? The guy isselling it for $2995 because hes moving out of state. Does that look like a good price?

Im kinda new to boating the last boat I had I owned for a year and rode it twice. It pretty much sat around broken all the time and sold it broken.:mad:

Im trying to not make the same mistake.

Thnaks to all that help

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Buying a 1994 Scarab sprint with a 3.0 needsome advice..

Cool boat they use them in stunt shows.

Your looking for the usual things as on any used boat.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I looked at one once (very beat/ mis-represented) so I walked away. I had a ride in another and made a few observations:

Cockpit is VERY far back, no ability to really have any passengers in the bow (like a bowrider), and even with just 2 of us of average weight, it took FOREVER to plane out.

4 passenger capacity and no sun-bed.

Extremely rough ride! MUCH harder then even my stingray!

Of course, if the condition is good and the price is right It would probably make a good first boat as it is easy to menuver/ easy on the eyes. Just Dont take it into rough water!

cr2k

Captain

Check oil level on the water BEFORE and AFTER sea trial. Take a flashlight and check everything underway. Listen for bad noises.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The combination of the words Scarab + Sprint + Speed and then 3.0 makes me sad. :( :p

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Pay no attention to what the seller says. His goal is to get as much money as he can from your pocket to his.

zagger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The combination of the words Scarab + Sprint + Speed and then 3.0 makes me sad.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Ziggy4

Seaman

Thanks for the responces. I know it's 4 banger, but I really like it. The budget didn't allow a big scarab with all the horse power not to mention the fuel cost. I was looking for a cool looking boat to run around in and island hop. It's small and easy to store and transport. Perhaps some day I can step up and throw in a v6. I'll enjoy what I have for now.

Philster

Captain

Check for water issues. Around that time, Wellcraft made some boats that allowed rain water to find its way into the inner hull/liner via the top/bottom joint at the rub rail and this would eventually saturate the foam.