What TO DO if you get stuck on the water???

Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys,

Recently my motor has been giving me troubles, what is one to do if the motor fails and you are nowhere close to any ramp or people? No back up motor or means to move the boat.

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What TO DO if you get stuck on the water???

Start paddlin... Or call seatow, store their number in your phone its expensive but theyll get u home if they can find you (use gps) and a ship to shore radio will work to, seatow monitors a certain channel, although im not sure what in your area...

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

get your cell phone out and call for help!

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would use the safety gear you are required by law to carry on your vessel! You should have a flare gun, whistle, mirror etc. Put a spare lifejacket in view at the front of the vessel and make sure everyone is wearing there vest. You shoul have a distress/marine weather radio and a cell phone if possible. In my opinion you should not be on the water at all! until you take a boater safety course--these questions would have been answered for you! You need to learn a lot before you take your life in your hands by boating--that is exactly right--take your life, and your companions on the boat, in your hands. Please do not go on the water until you take a boater safety course--good luck to you.

Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have all the safety gear on board, and I forgot to mention - I am usually on a small to medium size lakes.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

You will not get much meaningful input with what little you have given us.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

First thing is, if your motor's been giving you troubles, fix it. Proper maintainance and upkeep are of paramount importance with a boat. It's not a convenience thing, it's a safety issue.

I have paddles on my boat. I use BoatUS tow service... Small annual fee, and unlimited free towing plus roadside service with "Trailer Assist". I havn't needed it, but like all insurance, you pay and pay and pay... and hope you never need it.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

How about having your motor serviced and running properly before heading out on the water?... pretty foolish to me to be going out with an "iffy" motor.:facepalm:

Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How about having your motor serviced and running properly before heading out on the water?... pretty foolish to me to be going out with an "iffy" motor.:facepalm:

This can happen to anyone, even with a brand new motor.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

This can happen to anyone, even with a brand new motor.

Oh, I'm sorry... I could have sworn you said your motor was giving you troubles, my bad.

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's why I mounted a trolling motor before I ever took my boat out. Always a back up, batteries always charged.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Hey guys,

Recently my motor has been giving me troubles, what is one to do if the motor fails and you are nowhere close to any ramp or people? No back up motor or means to move the boat.

With my first boat when I was unsure about the motor and doing some testing with it, I headed to a local river that did not have any tow boats on it either. I arranged for a friend to come along in their own boat so if the worst happened, they could tow me in. Good thing too, because I ended up needing it. :redface:

Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh, I'm sorry... I could have sworn you said your motor was giving you troubles, my bad.

My motor ran great, just like any other, and yours too. Motors can break down on the water unexpectedly, the whole point of my question to begin with. Your comments are irrelevant.

Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's why I mounted a trolling motor before I ever took my boat out. Always a back up, batteries always charged.

This was on my mind as well, plus it will come handy when stalking the bass :)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

being a pro at getting towed in.....

there are certain things you must have.....

paddles......swim fins....and a girl willing to "flash em" when a posibility of a tow boat drives by....lol

seriously......just make sure the motor is running as best you can......have your tools and basic knowledge or a manual.

if something serious goes wrong.....do your best but be prepared for the worst.!

wgl333

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sander, you started this thread with my motor has been giving me trouble lately...yet you take offence when someone says get it serviced first?? If your question is what equipment should I have in the event of a breakdown, ask it that way, otherwise, take what comes when you make the statement you made in your original post.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

My motor ran great, just like any other, and yours too. Motors can break down on the water unexpectedly, the whole point of my question to begin with. Your comments are irrelevant.

Oh. if that's the case... then it's this answer you really need to pay attention to vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

I would use the safety gear you are required by law to carry on your vessel! You should have a flare gun, whistle, mirror etc. Put a spare lifejacket in view at the front of the vessel and make sure everyone is wearing there vest. You shoul have a distress/marine weather radio and a cell phone if possible. In my opinion you should not be on the water at all! until you take a boater safety course--these questions would have been answered for you! You need to learn a lot before you take your life in your hands by boating--that is exactly right--take your life, and your companions on the boat, in your hands. Please do not go on the water until you take a boater safety course--good luck to you.

TomB985

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really think Sander has a good question.

I also go out on small/medium lakes with no tow service to speak of. Of course I always have my cell phone but often wonder what whomever I get in touch with will be able to do. My boat is brand new, just over a month old, and I still get concerned about possible breakdowns. I figure I'd be able to flag down someone who could help if need be, but I hate to rely on this!

And yes, before anyone asks I do have all required safety equipment. I have also taken a boating safety course and been boating most of my life, just never had a breakdown. AND my engine is running fine. But "stuff" happens.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

OOps really nailed it. Someone willing to flash really speeds up the process of getting other boater's attention. Other than that I always keep a couple spare ropes, a paddle for each passenger and extra beer in case we have to stay the night. I find it best to either paddle with the waves or on calm days to the nearest shoreline that shows some signs of inhabitants.