Good idea for fuel supply?

Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am wondering if this is a good idea, having lines from the tanks go into a T and than a single line to the motor, basically consuming fuel from the both tanks at the same time.

Untitled-1.jpg

Rick.

Captain
Re: Good idea for fuel supply?

My gut feeling is that it will end up drawing from one and not the other. If you keep every hose length from the tee identical and both tanks at the same elevation it may work. In any case if it didn't work all you would need to do is install a shut off valve on each tank branch so you could draw one down and then the other. Give it a try ans let us know. Best of luck. Rick.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

you will end up drawing from one first then the other, then simply sucking air and not running

best to put a valve in between to switch between the two

Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My gut feeling is that it will end up drawing from one and not the other. If you keep every hose length from the tee identical and both tanks at the same elevation it may work. In any case if it didn't work all you would need to do is install a shut off valve on each tank branch so you could draw one down and then the other. Give it a try ans let us know. Best of luck. Rick.

Some great points I overlooked, thanks Rick.

Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you will end up drawing from one first then the other, then simply sucking air and not running

best to put a valve in between to switch between the two

Great idea, thank you.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Uhhh, I'm probably missing the point here... but what's the problem with using a single hose and disconnecting from the first tank when it runs low and connecting to the second tank? You won't have to worry about sucking air and you're less likely to have any dangerous leaking fuel lines in the boat. The more splices you have in a fuel line the more likely you are to have a leak.

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class

Motor will draw fuel from tank offering least resistance and air is a lot lighter. also, you run the risk of emptying both tanks on the water and not having enough to return.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I hooked mine up with 2 tanks and a 3 way valve last year but depending on your situation Jign may be right, that may be more hassle than it's worth. I rarely keep both tanks in the boat and even if I do it's just as easy to swap tanks vs finding a good safe place for a valve and having another gas line laying around.

nwcove

Admiral

Uhhh, I'm probably missing the point here... but what's the problem with using a single hose and disconnecting from the first tank when it runs low and connecting to the second tank? You won't have to worry about sucking air and you're less likely to have any dangerous leaking fuel lines in the boat. The more splices you have in a fuel line the more likely you are to have a leak.

thats the best option.....when one tank runs low..... ya know when its time to head back to shore

Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I think I will stick with one fuel line, at least for now - this idea just came to me and I wanted to see what you guys though :)