Volvo Penta AQ125A w/ 270 Outdrive- Water Strainer Cap Squirts out Water

nic420

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Water keeps on squirting out of the raw water strainer cap immediately after the motor is started. Do I need to replace the raw water strainer cap or is it building up pressure due to clog in the exhaust system. There is water that spits out at the exhaust end of the lower unit so I am assuming it is something else. Please advise.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo Penta AQ125A w/ 270 Outdrive- Water Strainer Cap Squirts out Water

Remove the cap. Remove the thick rubber gasket from under the cap. Remove the thin metal plate from under the rubber gasket. Coat the underside of the cap with grease as detailed in the manual. Replace the metal plate and then the rubber gasket. Replace and tighten the cap. Test again.

Worked for me.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

It could be leaking from built up pressure like you thought.Or fixed like Mullin said.
Loosen the manifold and the belows.Look into the end of the manifold for corrosion.
It should flow water as fast in and out as fast as you can supply it.
The next thing,Is the heat exchanger.It's under the leaky cap in the resivoir.
If it's full of sand/mud/shells etc.Then you need to back flush it or take it to a radiator shop for a soak.

nic420

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had cut a piece of rubber used to make your own gasket and placed in under the cap and it worked! Thank you masters.