Unknown metal piece found in flywheel 5.7 ski carb 2002

Ulrik

Recruit
Hi Everyone

I have a Mercruiser 5.7L ski carb from 2002
The other day I was out cruising it started to make a loud metal noise. :eek: It sounded like it comes from the back of the engine. After some inspection I found a rather large piece of loose metal by the flywheel. When I removed it the sound disappeared.
My question is can any of you tell where this piece of metal come from?
The transmission and starter was replaced recently and I am hoping its some part forgotten from that operation.
unknown metal .jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Unknown metal piece found in flywheel 5.7 ski carb 2002

Looks like part of a spring retainer for the flex plate. it's the drive plate that bolts to the engines flywheel and has the splines in the center that drives the transmission.
If it is, other things will start falling out.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

....in total agreement with Don S.

What he is politely trying to tell you is that you have at least two loose flywheel bolts and the rest are suspect. Your next symptoms will be a very severe vibration followed by a total power failure.

Ulrik

Recruit

Damn thats not what I hoped for. How much action and $$$ is need to fix this? crossing fingers :rolleyes:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Before "how much to fix" can be answered, you first need to find out for sure what broke.
Pull the engine and look, it's the only way to find out what's wrong.
If it is a flex plate, they range from 75 to 500 bucks, just depends on which one you need.

Ulrik

Recruit

Ok I will have a look tomorrow. I hope I can get to it without taking the motor out. The boat is still in the water :/

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ulrik,
Doubt you will be able to get to it w/o as Don says, "pull the motor".
This is not the time to try to cut corners. All indications point to that you have a drive plate that is falling apart, and if you try to run with it, you can (will) damage the bell housing, and worse.
Take it from me, it is much more fun and pleasant to work with these issues when it is warm and nice outside, then in the dark Scandinavian winter.
What you spend now to lift the boat, or at least the engine, is minute compared to the costs later.

(from a fellow Scandinavian - although left the area many, many years ago)

Ulrik

Recruit

Thx all. It was the spring retainer for the flex plate like you said.