25hp evinrude compression question

toybuilder039

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have recently been rebuilding a 1975 25hp evinrude and when I put it back together I checked the compression top cyl was #140 bottom is #120 I no this is out of spec but was wandering if you thought it might even out after being ran. I put to new set of rings in it and also had to replace the top piston I did not bore the cylinder I thought the looked pretty good but did hone them thanks for any input. Also should it atleast run with this kind of compression.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 25hp evinrude compression question

Take and run it and then recheck compression after 10 hrs.

nwcove

Admiral

...dont forget to mix it 25:1. (according to some , 15% diff is ok, yer at 14%).

toybuilder039

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok I will try to get it running this weekend and I will see what happens thanks for the input

kfa4303

Banned

running seafoam through the motor often helps to even out the compression and improve overall performance.

BonairII

Commander

Your compression numbers are pretty good. A decarb will probably help. The one so-called 'low' cylinder might be caused be a leaking head gasket(among other things).

I'd def decarb and run it for a bit before jumping to any conclusions.

jbjennings

Captain

I don't see how it could be 140psi without a lot of carbon buildup or something else increasing compression in that cylinder. I assume you cleaned the head of all carbon deposits before reassembly and double checked the compression. I just can't see that motor making 140psi. 125psi or 130 if lucky when the motor was brand new. At least--with my compression gauge. I know they're all different. I'm just thinking there should be a reason for a 20psi difference in cylinders on a newly rebuilt powerhead. I would think that would be enough out of balance to cause it to wear out quicker. However, I'm no expert by far......
Interesting situation though,
JBJ