9.9 4 stroke cooling problem need help

Ty Maple

Recruit
I have a 2004 Johnson 9.9 4 stroke That I bought and used last season. A water stream never came out of the pee hole, but it never over heated. This season I checked it out and the stream hose was clogged with sand. Problem solved. But since the engine had never been serviced as long as I can tell I replaced the water pump impeller and theromstate to be safe. I have never ran the motor out of the water so I have never observed what it looks like running out of water and being flushed with a hose. When I finished rebuiling the water pump and ran the engine I saw a large gush of water running down the mid section of the engine coming from what the manual calls a vent. The engine ran fine didnt appear to overheat and had a good strong stream flowing out of the pee hole outlet. My question is it normal to have water flow out of this vent hole? I will post a pic of the hole it is just under the pivot area aiming forward toward the front of the mid section cowling. My second question is since I never observed the engine running while standing right next to it before ( only hanging off behind the boat). I noticed exhaust gases mixed with a little amount of cooling water coming from another port located in the mid section also but toward the top of the section facing the rear. it had a large rubber gromet at the hole. Is It nomal to get exhast and water from this location. The manual has no mention of this port.

Attachments

• DSC00711_001.jpg
    DSC00711_001.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00712_001.jpg
    DSC00712_001.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00713_001.jpg
    DSC00713_001.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00716_001.jpg
    DSC00716_001.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 9.9 4 stroke cooling problem need help

My guess is that you're running it on the hose, and using too much water pressure. The system is designed to run at like 10-15 PSI but the water hose is capable of putting out 50+ PSI. Nice motor, BTW. Is it pretty quiet? I want to upgrade my 2 stroke after seeing how quiet and smooth the 4 stroke motors are.