Small Boats & Hurricanes

l008com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So it looks like Boston is going to get a hurricane in a few days. We haven't had one of those in quite a while. So my 15' boat lives on a trailer in my driveway. There aren't many trees around so it should be safe from that. Although the trailer itself could easily blow away. I figure I'll hook the trailer up to my pickup to keep things stationary. Although my driveway is only one car-length deep and three car-lengths wide, so fitting it all in the driveway might be tricky. Anything else I might want to do to prepare? Besides the obvious step of removing any loose items so they don't blow away. At this point it looks like it will be a category 1 when it gets here.

kahuna123

Re: Small Boats & Hurricanes

You not gonna see much really. A cat one at best and I doubt that. But its sells commercials. If its an outboard and you can put the plug in and put the garden hose to it. 6 pounds a gallon adds up pretty fast. Being born and raised in FL I have never been in a Nor-easter (spelling). But from the TV pictures I'll take a cat 1 over that any day. Our last Cat 1 we sat outside and watched. Say your prayers for the Outer Banks and most of the West Carolinas. That's gonna be ugly. This is a BIG storm and they are gonna be in very bad conditions for many hours if not a full day.
What else to do?? Imagine you won't have power for 2-3 days and what would you need to be OK. Last time I used my BIG coolers filled with ice to empty my food in and made sure my grill had plenty of gas. Paper plates. Lanterns. Lots of water (and other things). Good radio and charged cell phones. Leave one off. But seeing how you guys get through all the winter crap I can't see how this is a big deal.

l008com

I'm pretty sure category 1 winds could easily get my trailer rolling down the street. And nor'easters do suck if you don't have a snow blower.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What I use to do to secure boat for the winter is stake the trailer down so if area flooded in spring boat would stay put. Tied off to stakes with rope to trailer fram. as far as water is 8.33 lbs per gallon.put 50 gallons of water in boat would be 400 hundred lbs strap to trailer stake traile to ground be ok.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

you'll be OK inthe driveway just chock it so it doesn't roll around.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If its an outboard and you can put the plug in and put the garden hose to it. 6 pounds a gallon adds up pretty fast.

Just one caution with this. It's all to easy to put the hose in it, walk away and get side tracked. Be careful how much you put in and don't walk away for a second. You can easily bend an axel or snap a spring/shackle if you overload it with water.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

You small trailer boat guys have it easy, I have to decide if I'm going to take the boat out, or leave her in... Decisions.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

easier or harder. a big boat can handle many storms moored where a small boat can't, or you can move it to a gunk hole. And as the other discussions show, sometimes it's harder to find a safe place on land--you trade one set of risks for another. Trees don't usually fall on moored boats.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I would simply make sure its insured.

kahuna123

That's what half the article is about. What to do to make sure it is covered. Yacht insurance is much different than lake boats.

kahuna123

That's what half the article is about. What to do to make sure it is covered. Yacht insurance is much different than lake boats. But then again what do I know about hurricanes and boats. I've been in Florida 52 years.