1991 Mercruiser V8 Blowout (the bad kind)

incrediblened

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My brother brought me his boat from Dallas. "Check it over, I think it leaks a little water in the bilge when it runs." I started it up and it leaks so much water in the bilge that none comes out the exhaust. lol.

1991 Sea Ray
Mercruiser 5.7

I found a used and complete 1996 Mercruiser Vortec engine on eBay for a thousand bucks. His is a 1991 non-vortec engine. Will the eBay motor drop right in?

boat127

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1991 Mercruiser V8 Blowout (the bad kind)

first did you look to see where the water was leaking from? it could be a hose left off a drain plug left out or a core plug popped out.

incrediblened

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've never seen cracks so big in an engine before. The side of the block is blown out. The exhaust manifolds are blown out. It's bad.

Bondo

Staff member

I've never seen cracks so big in an engine before. The side of the block is blown out. The exhaust manifolds are blown out. It's bad.

Ayuh,... That's what happens when they're not drained over winter, Freeze Cracks...

The other motor should drop in without to many hassles...

WILSONS88

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Should be no problem. Is the vortec engine carbureted?

John_S

Rear Admiral

Should be no problem. Is the vortec engine carbureted?

Agree, fit-up shouldn't be an issue. Getting a good complete marine vortec for $1000, might be. Get the serial number and there are people on the board that can look up history. In '96, the mercs didn't have carbed vortecs. Those came in '98, and were only 2brl carbed. It would have been a gen+ model name, and would have had efi or mpi, which would make me more suspicious at $1000 price. If it is a private party selling, it could easily be a mistake on their part, and it is a standard head 5.7L.

incrediblened

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's a non-vortec Mercrusier 260. I just bought one new with warranty for $1350 shipped. (Block, heads, gaskets, oil pump). I went GLM for the manifolds (that's what the engine tech I bought the engine from recommended - said he's had nothing but good results from GLM). So for around $1850, I'm dropping in a brand new engine (less the intake, carb, components, etc). I thought that was a pretty good deal.

Volphin

Lieutenant

Sounds like a deal to me. What kind of warranty?

V

Volphin

Lieutenant

You might check and see what he wants for Vortec heads. If the cost isn't much more, go with them instead. They flow really well. :) The exhaust will bolt right up. The intake will have to be Vortec though...

V