Never seen this,how about you?

HYDROBUFF

Cadet
Hello everyone, let me start out by telling you the motor in question is a 1990 Johnson 60 hp two stroke outboard.Ill just cut to the chase , i try to crank my boat and it will fire right up ,but at a little high on the rpms.As it tries to idle it goes up gradually until i just have to cut it off,it climbed to 4 grand at one point,i cut it off and let it sit for minute then proceed to crank it again with a little more difficulty than last time, but fires up then again climbs the rpm ladder until i cut it off!Its like too much fuel is getting to the motor ,i mean with the throttle handle all the way down it wont go under 1500 rpm's it suppossed to idle at 1000.I am frustrated because i JUST got this boat out of shop for idling issues and they said they cleaned carbs and put new fuel lines filter all that stuff, i wonder if they removed the carbs and maybe floats are stiking or jets are messed up,not much of a boat mechanic as you can tell but i need help bad, my wife is wanting me to sell it now but i know she would love it if i could get this fixed,....HELP! Thanks , .PS it runs rather rough at the 1500 with handle down,just cant figure this out,i looked at carbs and it seems to be leaking a little fuel out of bottom two carb gaskets,could it be sucking air?

Re: Never seen this,how about you?

I am frustrated because i JUST got this boat out of shop for idling issues and they said they cleaned carbs and put new fuel lines filter all that stuff,.............,i looked at carbs and it seems to be leaking a little fuel out of bottom two carb gaskets,could it be sucking air?

It shouldn't be leaking anything from the carbs. I question the integrity of a "mechanic" who works on carbs and sends it out like that. If it's sucking a lot of air it can idle too fast in neutral but won't run worth a crap under load.

Which gaskets are leaking, the ones for the float bowl, or the intake gaskets?

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

People present this issue all of the time, and it's rather simple to solve. If you rook it in to be fixed and they didn't fix the problem then TAKE IT BACK!!!!

If you paid for the repair then it should be ......repaired. Do NOT decide to fix it yourself before taking it back to them, once you do that then they are no longer responsible.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you just got the mtr out of a shop, I'd take it back and raise hell with them. There's no excuse for that kind of workman ship.