Maiden Voyage #2... Saturday

theviking64

Seaman
Ok Boys & Girls.....Got the boat back from the mechanic. If this thing performs now, he was worth every penny. He checked everything! He rebuilt the carbs, 3 were not getting any fuel at all. He checked the fuel pumps..4psi, the "something" down test? (Help me here)..was 10psi or 10% i cant remember, cylinder compression was 120psi in 5 cylinders and 119psi in 1, (which for a 32 yo motor is pretty damn good). Thermostats are good, needed a new thrust washer, installed that. All for $400.00......Oh, and he put air in the trailer tires and re-packed the bearings! lol. He said it should scream now. We will see Saturday

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Maiden Voyage #2... Saturday

Sounds like a reasonable repair. Good luck on the second splash!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, good luck, hope it does scream. Take a GPS along!

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

Congratulations! Hope you have a hassle free time.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I had a guru Johnson/Evinrude mechanic go over my motor last year before vacation and it was worth every penny. He found that some moron previous owner had swapped my carbs for 140 carbs. He said you can make a 90 a 115 with a carb swap but to go to a 140 requires other significant modifications. He recommended I look for some 115 carbs but he was able to get the 140 carbs jetted to work properly. The motor runs so well I'm certainly not messing with it. He also did both carb kits, thermostats, impeller, and changed the gear lube all for the same $400. He had some significant time into messing with the carbs. He knew I was going to test run it right after I picked it up from him and he even called me while I was out on the water to make sure I was happy with it.

Good luck on your run, I'm sure you'll be similarly pleased.

theviking64

Seaman

I also bought two new cup holders for the original dash cups....should add another few horsepower......:D

theviking64

Seaman

Absolutely flawless!!!! The boat ran awesome! Hit about 45mph on the speedo. I forgot my GPS.... everything worked great!

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats! Glad to hear everything went well.