gaskets for my force

wilsoncops4

Cadet
Has anyone else had problems getting gaskets for the water pump on a 1989 force engine 85 HP. I ordered the Impeller from I-Boat and when I asked about a gasket kit they said I would have to find the gaskets locally. Well I don't have a local dealer that I can just run to and pick any up. Do any of you guys have a suggestion. I got some good advise on the motor that I really appreciated last time. I took the foot of and removed the pump and the gaskets and plate were stuck together with what I believe to be gasket sealent, however the top gasket broke and destroyed the gasket; now I am in trouble. Thanks in advance for anything!!!!!!!!

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: gaskets for my force

Hi wilson, I just ran into the same thing with my 89 85hp. I ordered the impeller, took it apart gently, and still ripped the lower gasket. Luckily, I have material lying around so I made a new one. Time consuming???? Yes, worth the effort/time???? Yes.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

The top gasket broke? Are you talking about the metal plate? If the metal backing place is intact you can use a tiny bit of silicone gasket maker. Assemble finger tight and let sit for 10 minutes. Torque to specs. I reassembled my entire powerhead with silicone super blue gasket maker no. 610 i believe. I have no leaks and she runs cool on land..I have yet to take her on the water yet though. I am very surprised that the gasket maker worked on the exhaust/cooling jacket being that the metal plate is usually warped and moves when tightening. EDIT...entire powerhead EXCEPT for the head gasket :D

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Try www. boats.net or maybe www. seaway.com

celtic gelf

Seaman

where do you live there's a guy near me that bought the remaining factory parts when merc stopped making them...He's got everything for dang near every motor they made in multiples...he has 100 powerheads for my 150...

wilsoncops4

Cadet

I live in Richmond Va. There is not alot of Marine dealers where we live. However there are a lot of them near Va. Beach. I am thinking I may call some and have the parts shipped. Thanks for the input.

ezimmerm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know I'm going to get some flak for this but I would not recommend boats.net .

Ive had a couple of times where something was backordered, I wouldnt find out until two weeks later when i would call. Another time there website led me to the wrong part and customer service was no help. Crowley marine is excellent to deal with as is iboats.

wilsoncops4

Cadet

Hey guys thanks for the Help... Roscoe the info. you gave me about any Mercury dealer would have the right part was correct... I contacted the MarineEngine.com and they were able to find the correct kit. 47-3251 had in it the proper gaskets and the right steel plate... This kit is for some of the 1989 85hp force engines... At first he was telling me that I needed 3030 but that impeller is to small to go over the crankshaft. The proper one is 22mm and the 3030 by sieara is 21mm.... Thanks again for your input! Jerry