2005 f40 high rpm miss

173sport

Cadet
I have a 2005 f40 Yamaha that is driving me crazy. It has picked up a miss at 5900rpm and up. I can back off the throttle below 5900rpm or trim all the way down and plow water keeping the rpms under 5900 and it runs perfect. It feels like and electrical miss, not a fuel miss. It will run 6150rpm when cold but after a few miles it starts missing and I can back off the throttle and it goes away. I've drained the fuel and replaced the fuel filter. No signs of water and the fuel is fresh. The plugs are nice and brown. Timing belt is tight and in time. Runs perfect other than this hot high speed miss. Any one ever run into one doing this? Thanks in advance.

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 2005 f40 high rpm miss

get a new set of plugs...get a new prop and get those RPMs under 6K..2 pitchs up should do it. My money is on fuel issues..clean all fuel lines ..send off injectors to be cleaned, patterned, and flow tested. clean VST chamber and the little screen at the bottom of the high pressure fuel pump. have a computer diagnostic run and see if you are getting a sensor failure. check isc valve ans see if it is getting hot.

You may also check the TPS with an analog multimeter (ohms) and watch the needle for a smooth motion all the way through the motion of the sensor. If you notice the needle jump suddenly you have a bad tps.

173sport

Cadet

I have replaced the plugs. As for the injectors, that will be hard, it's a carb motor. It has ran great for five months with the prop I have on it. Had a 13 pitch and the hole shot was not good. Just started all at once. I'm thinking eletrical miss because it runs great cold then starts after it gets hot.

Yeah I can see how injectors can be a problem if it is a carbeb motor. Of course if you had provided the model number I/we would have caught that ;) The overrev kicks in at 6200 on this motor I believe. As mentioned you are underpropped. Recommended cruising rpm is in the upper range of the motor (5k-6k). If I was rigging this motor I would prop it so that at WOT it is just hitting the rev limiter, with no gear, passengers; just a full tank of gas and you. It could be that your "miss" is valve flutter at that high of RPM.