Advice on buying a 120 MC

morelandb

Recruit
I'm thinking of buying a mid 1970's 18ft starcraft with a 120 Mercruiser. It will be my first boat. What would be some things I should be on the lookout for? What are problem areas for these engines?

Thanks for any and all help!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Advice on buying a 120 MC

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...

Look for rotten wood, 'n rotten rubber parts...

grzzzz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

About the only thing you can't really bolt on and off is the block. How long has it been setting? Was it properly winterized after last use? Can you start it and run it for a while to see water gets into the oil? Compression check cylinders? Assure good block and good compression and go for it!

Grzzzz

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

get a bright flashlight, and get your head wedged in upside down underneath the intake/ex manifold - look along the side of the block up near the cylinder head for cracks or repaired cracks.
While under there, look at the bottom of the manifold for cracks or repairs.

and ditto on rot- any waterlogging of an 18 footer and a 120HP i/o is going to struggle

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not engine related, but first boat related, if the seats are rotted, floor rotted, ect, remember stuff that looks like a cheep easy repair normally are anything but cheep or easy. Make sure the boat has been winterized if it has been stored,Ilast time it was used?, Past maintenance records?, can you water test it?, Is the trailer in good shape (tires, ect)?