Where should i start cutting to see if the water intruded.......

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
into the foam filled compartments?
This is what I found :
a 1 /16th " diameter hole above the starboard side stringer, so not sure where the water can travel from there ...........
i found out that the previous owner screwed the bilge pump to the hull without sealing the mounting screw holes, the glassed in wood below it was saturated so i opened up the holes and sucked the water through the holes. I got about a beer bottle and a half worth out of there.

I figured i would start taking off the seats , driver, passenger, and the aluminum mounting base for the front pedestal seat and cutting a square away from the deck there and see what if any water has soaked into the foam and compartments.

I'd like to open this all up and investigate and air out some . I also wanted to use a grinder on the bilge pump mounting area and take the wood out and see what is going on under there. The pics show in order : 1st pic is of hole in corner above stringer (rust colored area) 2nd pic is of bilge pump mounting area and crazing, 3rd is of crack seeping water from the inside edge of the ski compartment.

I'd like to do as much as i can now and finish the job in the spring.

Thanks.

Attachments

• bilge view cropped.jpg
    bilge view cropped.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 0

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Where should i start cutting to see if the water intruded.......

and now with pics

hole cropped.jpg
bilge view cropped.jpgstringer view.JPG

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What areas would be the best to open up and check for water in the foam compartment?
Any have a similar boat ( 1988 Winner Chameleon ) that knows the layout of under the deck?

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can't believe i still haven't got a response back yet on how i can investigate to see if the flotation foam is soaked.
Do you think this crazing is that bad?
That water drop in the pic, is that a sign of a serious problem or does this all have to be just opened up , aired out over the winter and resealed?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the reason is because your first post wasnt quite clear.....

to find if the foam is wet......take a core sample of the area....usually at the lowest point and close to the stringer.

as far as the transom.....( i think thats the transom) do another core sample. use a drill bit for that one

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey oops, thats not the transom, thats just the back of the bilge, the transom is further back.
Can i cut the top of the stringer off next to that hole to look in there? If so do i use fiberglass cloth and resin to seal it back up?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

before you start cutting......search core sample.....there are two types.... one a wood done with a drill and the other is a foam done with a pvc pipe.

we do need better pics ....first off....of the overall area.....we need to see the area for causes and importance of the area.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

pm me with this link after you have better pics......if you can find the core sample thingys.....ill re type them.....

lets get you on the right track bud !

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey oops, i checked it out, the boat is made as other winner boat owners stated. The stringer section is made of all fiberglass as a mold and laid down into the hull so no wood there at all which is good. The 1 foot by 1 foot square is wood laid under glass which is soaked but thats no problems as the rest of the hull is fiberglass. So i'll have to grind out the wood area and build that area up with all fiberglass and get rid of the 1'2 wood area in the hull. I did cut a 4" long by 2" section out of the one stringer to see in side it. I cut about 1" up from bottom and half way up side of stringer.

How should i repair it now, i assume use stainless screws to screw something on the inside of the stringer for support, and resin in fiberglass cloth and matt until it is as thick as the original? ( about 1/4 " thick )