1965 evinrude fisherman 6hp...HELP PLEASE!!!

madisdad2

Recruit
i recently traded for a 1965 evinrude fisherman 6hp. the motor starts and runs great at slow idle or wide open. when i put the engine in gear it pushes my boat fine but at a slow speed. maybe 5-7 mph. the engine sounds like it is running at half throttle when in gear and pushing the boat. Any ideas what could be wrong? i know little to nothing about boats or motors. this is the 1st 1 i've owned. also, i am looking for a prop. for this motor. where could i find one? nothing wrong with the one on the motor but i was told that it should be a 3 blade prop instead of a 2 blade used on this motor. i honestly dont know....

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1965 evinrude fisherman 6hp...HELP PLEASE!!!

Start with some basic checks, spark should jump 3/8" air gap and be bright blue. Check the compression, I would think you should have somewhere around 70-80 psi and be within 10% of each other. If all that checks out move on to the fuel delivery system. Try squeezing the primer bulb and see if it runs any better, maybe a fuel pump problem. Might be time to overhaul the carb and make sure all passages are clean, and the high speed orifice is not plugged or restricted.

madisdad2

Recruit

Ok, thanks for the info. The fuel system is fine. i guess my best bet is to take it to someone who knows more about outboards than myself.

hidef

Lieutenant

The ramblings article is an excellent reference doc. Also unless the fuel lines are new, the fuel pump was rebuilt and the card was cleaned and rebuilt don't trust none of it. If you run gasoline with ethanol it will breakdown the old fuel lines, cause havoc on the old fuel pump and plug the carb. Once all new ethanol resistant parts are used no more fuel issues. The two blade prop is fine it is most likely the original prop if it has never hit anything.

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I own one of these, they are great little motors! (Mine pushes a 12' aluminum Jon boat with NO problem.)

Do as Daviet suggested and post your findings.