Reflection over the connection exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe (AQ171 / AQ151)

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you look at the attached photos, there is a fair amount of corrosion (pitting) on the exhaust pipe, but not much on the manifold.

My take on this is that the exhaust connector (the rubber bellow) was in this case installed a tad too far down on the "pipe", allowing water to pool up inside the connector and just "sitting there", slowly eating away at the exhaust pipe. I guess it would have looked a little bit different if the "bellow" and clamp would have been sitting a little bit higher.

Hence, it you have a vertical connection, or a connection where water can "sit", even after flushing, see if it can be easily correct as suggested.

BTW, this is on a freshwater boat, or a boat that has seen salt water but always has gone through at least an hour of fresh water (locks and canals) after having been in salt water.

Now I just gonna fight those four small allen bolts to see if I can get the "nose" on the manifold off.

Attachments

• IMG_3200 (Large).JPG
    IMG_3200 (Large).JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3196 (Large).JPG
    IMG_3196 (Large).JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Reflection over the connection exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe (AQ171 / AQ151)

Actually it doesn't look that bad.Elbow looks good.
What's it doing that you want to fix it?
And if you run in salt water at all.No amount of flushing will get it all out.
If the bellows is too far up.When you start and stop the motor it can jerk and move enough to dislodge the bellows and you will have big leak.J

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Reflection over the connection exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe (AQ171 / AQ151)

Actually it doesn't look that bad.Elbow looks good.
What's it doing that you want to fix it?
And if you run in salt water at all.No amount of flushing will get it all out.
If the bellows is too far up.When you start and stop the motor it can jerk and move enough to dislodge the bellows and you will have big leak.J

Actually just checking things", so nothing broken or anything, but eager to eventually take the manifold off to check its condition. Was surprised to see it look as good as it does on the outlet (stainless steel insert is only "dirty").

As for bellow too high up, valid point, but in this case it could be solved by two hose clamps - just to allow for the bellow to be high enough to avoid the "pooling", while still being properly attached.

But, it was just a reflection....:redface: