evinrude leak?

roanas1

Recruit
i have a 1980 evinrude 115 v4 2 stroke. i recently noticed a wierd leak. after a day of boating, loaded the boat and went home. 1 hour later i noticed a leak of some kind running douwn the leg of the motor. it is coming from underneith the motor housing. it is very dark grey color ond has the consistancy of a thin grease. smells like grease or an oil of some kind. could this be to an excess of oil build up from the 2 cycle gas? any ideas? has anyone ever encountered something like this on their motor?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: evinrude leak?

Since the only place on the engine that has oil in it is the lower unit, I would guess you are correct, any way you can post a picture?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Very possible that you have a powerhead base gasket failing. Not an uncommon problem on the older V4 crossflows. While this will not cause an imminent powerhead failure, it is very messy. The worst part is that the failed base gasket will permit exhaust gases to leak into the cowling. When running, this exhaust can get recirculated into the carbs and powerhead. The fix is to pull the powerhead and replace the gasket ontop of the midsection exhaust adapter. About a 3 hour job. It's not a complicated job-just takes a while. You'll have to pull the block up about a foot to clean, scrape the old gasket off the powerhead and adapter. Make sure you get the upgraded replacement base gasket which has some aluminum sandwiched between the two gasket surfaces.

Last edited:

roanas1

Recruit

thanks emdsapmrg for the good input. going to try a run with a better 2 cycle oil to see what happens. thanks again.