Standard equiptment inboard engines on Aristocraft

jwmboater

Recruit
I joined this particular forum as I desire a new project since my recent retirement. I want to restore an old boat. If I buy the boat I have found, I will certainly be studying a lot. I'm sure there are many experienced individuals on this forum and hope any information will influence my decision to proceed with this project. I have found a 1972 Aristocraft 9-teen for sale but not familiar with the stock engines on these boats. I have seen these boats my entire life as I live in the south close to where they were made. And grew up on rivers and lakes. I like the style and overal quality of the boat and would like to rescue it. Alas, don't know if it is worth it. The outdrive is merc cruiser, the engine says it is 120 hp, four cylinder. It looks like a chevy but could be volvo? But the carb seems tall for the engine. I was expecting may be a one barrel carb. On closer view I saw two barrels, and a spacer under the carb. I note it is a Rochester carb. Was this stock on this model? The current owner does not know. He added an electronic fuel pump and disconnected the manual? He said he didn't want failure? The engine cranks but floods quickly and stalls. Getting too much fuel. The owner says it ran fine a year ago. Overall the boat is solid with all original parts; i.e chrome horns and light on the deck, rails, hard top, plex windows (although dull). Originally "baby blue" in color all over, it is years of chalk on the boat. Definitely non stock inside as owners have added many unusual options, such as little fans, cup holders, fishing rod racks, toggle switchs, and so on. Many little holes here and there that were probably previous owners own touches. Someone by-passed the original gas tank, and set a plastic one on the floor. The seats are or were original but have been covered with several most unusual types of fabrics. The owner wants under 2k for the boat and trailer. Any suggestion that may help in this decision would be most appreciated.
The Boat has been in the south its entire life. It has been bought and sold many times and ended up a fishing boat on the Alabama river.
I'm wondering if the carb is original to the engine; if the fiberglass is structurely sound enough to restore. I am in no hurry and plan to go slowly but do not wish to waist time so I'm asking the experts. Please help.

Thank you

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Standard equiptment inboard engines on Aristocraft

I have found a 1972 Aristocraft 9-teen for sale but not familiar with the stock engines on these boats.
assuming it's a mercruiser click here for the service manual. it will have all the specs for the engine in question in it. including the carb it came with.
He added an electronic fuel pump and disconnected the manual? He said he didn't want failure? The engine cranks but floods quickly and stalls. Getting too much fuel.
i'd put it back stock. sounds like the electric one isn't what it needs or is failing. my mechanical one is 36 years old. it still works. though i did put a diaphragm in it.
The owner says it ran fine a year ago
imho, never believe the seller. they got reason to lie.
Overall the boat is solid with all original parts; i.e chrome horns and light on the deck, rails, hard top, plex windows (although dull).
best i know. nineteens didn't come with a horn. they are always someones after thought. mine has a horn, it's an after thought. sounds good on the deck, rails, hard top and windows. the glass is available from AristoCraft. look under fiberglass parts available. i just got side windows for my hardtop a few weeks ago.
Someone by-passed the original gas tank, and set a plastic one on the floor.
that don't sound like it'd meet with uscg safety standards. as well it shouldn't, it sounds very unsafe and maybe a bomb in the making.
Any suggestion that may help in this decision would be most appreciated.
click here to see a site mash of AristoCrafts available on the www. may give you some insight as to what your looking at may be worth. i like the orange one for 5k. may be a little pricey though, i gave 4300 prior to the recession. and that was approaching a little to much. mine is pretty much unrestored original. i'd be concerned with the 4.3 4 cyl. engine too. i don't know what that is.
if the fiberglass is structurely sound enough to restore.
no way to tell w/o pics. while i've never done it. one of the benefits of fiberglass is that it can always be rebuilt. with much effort i understand.

one major plus for AristoCraft is that the nineteen is mostly a fiberglass boat. not much wood in them. like no stringers and not much transom wood. this is good because it isn't there to rot like most old boats. they do get water logged foam sometimes. i understand the repair is to cut two big holes under the rear sole carpet, dig out the old, put in the new and cover it up. much easier than a transom and stringer and sole. these are some very unique boats, very well made and still have support from the oem. i can't think of another boat mfg. from the 70's that still offers support for their product. But AristoCraft does. this is an all American product made and supported by Americans. their product and company are worthy of many compliments.
good luck in your decision..

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My '71 had the Mercruiser 120, a Chevy 4 banger. The engine cover has a raised portion over the carb for spark arrestor clearance. Stock fuek tank is an 18 gal. metal tank under the port stern seat. Aristocraft.com is a good source for info and some parts as ziggy said. One of the company guys drops in here on occasion as well. All told, a good solid craft and gives a nice ride too.

jwmboater

Recruit

Thank you for all the thoughtful comments regarding this boat. Here is the original ad in craigslist which is within my state. http://montgomery.craigslist.org/boa/2513449994.html
The pictures are not very telling as in person. However, I believe the price depicted is one thing and an offer is something else. The trailer alone is probably worthy of the price.
Also noticed another one around Hueytown AL on Craigslist here: http://bham.craigslist.org/boa/2525761018.html; Checking on this one too. Either way, again thanks for the ideas, research help and comments.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I had a 1969 Aristocraft 140 hp bought in 1974. It ran okay, but not nearly as good as my uncle's later model Aristocraft with the 165 six cylinder Chevy motor. Earlier units had the original Mercruiser outdrive, and the power trim hoses had multiple bends in the steel lines on one end--and were easy to strip out.

For their length, Aristocrafts performed well, had good ride and plenty of room. (The signature top was just something to hit your head on.)

And the company is around 21 years since they mass produced a boat--unbelievable. I wish I could afford one of their new/old wooden boats as a conversation piece.

I would suggest shopping for an Aristocraft with a newer and more modern version of the Mercruiser I/O unit--with a larger motor.

ziggy

Admiral

but not nearly as good as my uncle's later model Aristocraft with the 165 six cylinder Chevy motor.
i hear that. the 165hp L6 works real good in these boats. mine can surly get out of it's own way. while i've never driven the 4 cyl. version. i think i'd likely be disappointed with less hp than the 165 provides.
For their length, Aristocrafts performed well, had good ride and plenty of room
agreed. folks with br's are always saying how much room i have. and i do, and i like it. i happily give up the br area for the extra space inside the boat.
The signature top was just something to hit your head on.
that i respectfully disagree with. yes, i've hit my head a time or two, but the benefits far out way the drawback of hitting my head. protection from the sun, from the wind, from the cold, from the rain, from hail, w/ aft curtain deployed ya can boat in colder weather than most and still have a good time. imho the hard top is the cats meow.
I wish I could afford one of their new/old wooden boats as a conversation piece.
agreed. while i'm sure i'd like the conversation, i think i'd like to drive one better. they look like a blast to operate..
I would suggest shopping for an Aristocraft with a newer and more modern version of the Mercruiser I/O unit--with a larger motor.
agreed there too, as long as the larger engine isn't the mercruiser 470 version engine. they (mercruiser 470) sound persnickety to me. boats already have enough of that going on w/o the head ache of a poorly designed engine.
jm, the blue hull looks nice enough. something to work with. while i'm not sure. i believe some of the early nineteens may have had wood in the sole right after cross over from the eighteen. i could be wrong, but it might be worth finding out for sure. AristoCraft will know the facts. give them a call. the other link didn't work for me.

jwmboater

Recruit

All
Again, thanks for the info. Did anyone know if a Rochester Carb came stock on the 4 cylinder 120HP? I tried to check but so far no answers. I think I'm concerned about parts for the engine, and parts for the merc out drive. If this one runs out ok on the water, with no vibration or oil leaks I think I would be ok. The trim seems to work. I noticed on the dash board below where the middle window would be (the middle window is missing), there is a noticable two inch gap that extends the length of where the middle window would have been. Does this seem right or is this another mod from previous owners? Is the dash coming apart from the hull? Is this "baby blue" an original color or has it been painted?
Probably need to make a decision on the purchase or not but trying to get a good idea of what I'm getting into. I'd like to do a complete restore or as close as possible to factory.
Again thanks for all the advice and opinions; very helpful.

ziggy

Admiral

Did anyone know if a Rochester Carb came stock on the 4 cylinder 120HP? I tried to check but so far no answers.
first, i don't know the facts. i looked over the oem s/m and i couldn't find anywhere that stated what that engine, or any engine came with for a carb. imho, i think it likely it's a 2gc. these seem to be very common in older boats. both my L6 engines have had them. the L4 though, i don't know. maybe post this question over on the i/o forum. see if ya can find someone that has the same engine you got that still stock. or maybe AristoCraft knows, they (Claud, AristoCraft) were tight with Carl (kiekefer, merecruiser).
I think I'm concerned about parts for the engine, and parts for the merc out drive.
again, i don't know, i got the L6. but (click) here's a place that lists items available and nla too. both engine and drive. myself, i've done quite a bit of drive work to mine. so far, parts have been available for my mc-1 drive. + mc-1, 1-r (revised), 1-,mr (major revised), and alpha1 are all pretty much interchangeable. so there are options.
I noticed on the dash board below where the middle window would be (the middle window is missing), there is a noticable two inch gap that extends the length of where the middle window would have been. Does this seem right or is this another mod from previous owners?
this is the norm. the center window slides vertically, up and down. when down, it disappears into this slot. it's a pocket. the pocket is just below the bow deck. you should see a tube running from the bottom of this pocket running to just above (maybe below, i'd have to go look) the bow eye. any water that gets into this pocket discharges out this tube. it's oem.
Is the dash coming apart from the hull
don't understand the question. if your still refering to the slot for the center window, i'd say no.
Is this "baby blue" an original color or has it been painted?
looks original to me. go look at the fiberglass brochures on the Aristocraft web site. you will see pics of exactly the same color boats. it may even be desirable. i think ya paid more for that color when the boat was sold new.

as for weather ya should buy or not. i went on line and found a list of items to inspect when buying a used boat. i looked at several. i ended up with a list maybe 3 or 4 pages long as to what to inspect. i went through this list completely prior to buying. first thing i did was crawl under the boat, bow to stern, looking for anything unusual. cracks (fwiw, looked at a cobalt that had a crack 3 ft. long, needless to say, i didn't look at the boat any further), holes, etc. i also had compression test done prior to sea trial and after sea trial. same with a drive pressure test. gear lub was inspected and then pressure tested. again, both prior to and after the sea trial. there were many other inspection items, but that's a couple important ones, including the sea trial part.

good luck in your decision.

Last edited:

jwmboater

Recruit

first, i don't know the facts. i looked over the oem s/m and i couldn't find anywhere that stated what that engine, or any engine came with for a carb. imho, i think it likely it's a 2gc. these seem to be very common in older boats. both my L6 engines have had them. the L4 though, i don't know. maybe post this question over on the i/o forum. see if ya can find someone that has the same engine you got that still stock. or maybe AristoCraft knows, they (Claud, AristoCraft) were tight with Carl (kiekefer, merecruiser).again, i don't know, i got the L6. but (click) here's a place that lists items available and nla too. both engine and drive. myself, i've done quite a bit of drive work to mine. so far, parts have been available for my mc-1 drive. + mc-1, 1-r (revised), 1-,mr (major revised), and alpha1 are all pretty much interchangeable. so there are options. this is the norm. the center window slides vertically, up and down. when down, it disappears into this slot. it's a pocket. the pocket is just below the bow deck. you should see a tube running from the bottom of this pocket running to just above (maybe below, i'd have to go look) the bow eye. any water that gets into this pocket discharges out this tube. it's oem. don't understand the question. if your still refering to the slot for the center window, i'd say no. looks original to me. go look at the fiberglass brochures on the Aristocraft web site. you will see pics of exactly the same color boats. it may even be desirable. i think ya paid more for that color when the boat was sold new.

as for weather ya should buy or not. i went on line and found a list of items to inspect when buying a used boat. i looked at several. i ended up with a list maybe 3 or 4 pages long as to what to inspect. i went through this list completely prior to buying. first thing i did was crawl under the boat, bow to stern, looking for anything unusual. cracks (fwiw, looked at a cobalt that had a crack 3 ft. long, needless to say, i didn't look at the boat any further), holes, etc. i also had compression test done prior to sea trial and after sea trial. same with a drive pressure test. gear lub was inspected and then pressure tested. again, both prior to and after the sea trial. there were many other inspection items, but that's a couple important ones, including the sea trial part.

good luck in your decision.

Thank You Mr Ziggy and all other input which is invaluable to a rookie like myself. I do have enough to make a decision I think; and since I have taken some time to consider, the owner has lowered the price to $1200.00 if I purchase before the first. Interesting. We shall see; It is nice to know that there is some product support still and certainly those who have attempted this before me out there.
Again thank you.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

If you wanted you could come look at mine or check it out through the link in my sig. I'm in Senatobia, MS. I think the 4 cylinders were fairly common. However, the L6 like mine and Ziggy's were a much better performer.

The link apparently isn't there. I know the link is in several of my older threads though. This should have it in there.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=310956&page=5&p=3014802

jwmboater

Recruit

Thank you for the invite; The seller has dropped his price to $1200.00 for this boat and trailer; still considering the project. The boat will require a complete restore, (fiberglass restoration and paint, all the seats and interior, etc.) Definitely a long term committment.
Thanks again for all the help Chief.