Need a little assistance, pulley selection for an '88' 5.7l Mercruiser

Mad_Props

Recruit
I need to replace my v-belt pulleys like yesterday, broke another alt belt after 6 hours yesterday. Crank and waterpump pullies are shot and would like to dress up the engine compartment, are there any compatible pulleys available, say in aluminum/chrome I may use that won't break the bank? I have been searching and all I come up with are Merc replacements at high dollar... I have been searching '85' vette parts at the local auto parts store, but don't know if they may work and is going to prove to be a hastle to return if they don't fit or align properly.

Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated! This is my first I/O...

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Need a little assistance, pulley selection for an '88' 5.7l Mercruiser

Ayuh,... The exact Merc replacements should be available from any GM Dealer...
They're just Chevy parts...

Paint 'em with a good coat of Rustoleum, 'n go Boatin'...

Chrome, 'n aluminum Don't like saltwater any more than Steel does...
Painted steel lasts, if kept Painted...

Mad_Props

Recruit

Do you know which Chevy model I should be looking for and for the waterpump pulley, all I see is for long pump, which I read we cannot use. I have found various pullies, just unsure of model... Thanks

cr2k

Captain

Check with your local speed or hot rod shops. They will have a whole range of performance/beauty pulleys available or will be able to order.
I have seen several different styles on engines. Personally I don't see the big deal with looks, why spend extra money for something that is hidden under a cover.

Mad_Props

Recruit

Check with your local speed or hot rod shops. They will have a whole range of performance/beauty pulleys available or will be able to order.
I have seen several different styles on engines. Personally I don't see the big deal with looks, why spend extra money for something that is hidden under a cover.

Thanks for the info, I have a couple local speed shops around that may be able to help out. But at the same time, we all know that items available internet are usually a fraction of the cost of new items locally and often don't have to pay tax. Unfortunately need to know exactly what to order as returns can be a PITA...

I am definitely not trying to spend more on something that "looks" better. I was going to try to go with aluminum for a better chance of corrosion resistance, the simply hold up better in a salt environment and save a bit of weight.

Bondo

Staff member

I was going to try to go with aluminum for a better chance of corrosion resistance, the simply hold up better in a salt environment and save a bit of weight.

Ayuh,... While steel rusts, Aluminum Corrodes...

Pull whichever pulleys ya wanta replace, 'n go to yer local GM dealer to match 'em up....